Chapter 17: The bestie

At exactly 6:30 pm, a car drove into Alonso's mansion. A woman stepped down and was shown into the house by the driver ordered to pick her up. The further she went, the more complicated her heartbeat pounded in her chest.

The odd number, who had spent the last month texting her about Job connections, had finally gotten a hold of her. She could have sworn with everything in her he was a scammer, until today when he insisted her lady Lorena needed a dress. Everyone knew anything Lady Lorena wanted. She had to get. For one, there was no more friendly person than her, and two. Everyone was so worried about her.

She stared at the bagged dress in her hands and bit her lips nervously. After Lorena had worn one of her dresses, she had gone out of her way to create another. She just needed the right time to gift it to her, and it looked like it was now. They climbed upstairs, and she took that opportunity to take in her surrounding.

The house was not as big as Master Markris, but it had a smell she liked. The lemon and lavender mixture caressed her nose. The lighting of the house was also something she adored. It was almost dark outside, but it looked like every light in the house had been turned on. It was simply breathtaking.

"Over there," He pointed to a door. "The lady awaits your presence." He bowed, turned around, and walked away. Maria's eyes widened as she pressed the bag to her chest. Her mouth hung open as she looked around, wondering if someone else was in the passage.

"Me?" She mouthed, and a slow smile crept on her face. No one had ever bowed for her before. She suddenly felt an overwhelming sense of importance as she forced her feet to the door. She knocked, and the door immediately swung open.

"Hello." A woman said, waving at her.

"Hi, I'm Maria. I'm here to see Lady Lorena." She held the bag up.

"Oh, you're the designer? Please come in." She quickly took the dress from her and ushered her into the room. Three other women and a man were present there. They were working on the hair and makeup of the woman seated in the middle of the room.

"Is that Maria?" She heard a voice that could only belong to one person ask.

"My lady?" She ran to the woman seated on the chair. "It's you." She dropped to her knees when she saw Lorena's face.

"What are you doing, Maria?" Lorena signaled the team to halt as she stretched her hands to grab Maria. "Stand up." She said, raising her gently.

"You don't understand," Maria coughed, her voice choking up. "We've been so worried about you. We didn't know where you were, so that no one could contact you. We missed you so much." She said, bursting into tears.

Lorena could not hold herself back, pulling Maria into a warm embrace. "I'm so sorry I didn't think about anyone but myself. I should have called to confirm I'm okay. I shouldn't have let you all worry about me this much." She sniffled, holding back tears. She didn't want the glam team to start all over again.

"At least you're fine. Let me look at you," Maria pulled away, raising her head to the gate at Lorena. "You look wonderful. Tanika will be so excited when I tell her I saw you." She smiled.

"Oh, Tanika," She held her chest, her eyes moistening. "I missed you all so much. Are Francesca and Roselina still at Markris?"

"No," She shook her head. "They went back to your dad's." She got up to allow the team to continue their work.

"I'm thrilled you're here, Mari. You have no idea." Lorena said, trying to get her words through amidst the brush strokes returning on her face.

"I'm glad I did too. Also, I brought you the most befitting dress. You're going to love it!" She clasped her hands together and spun around.