Chapter 12: The Opinion

A few minutes after Markris walked into his office for the second time that day, the door pushed open, and Jorginho stepped in. He raised his head to see who the intruder was and hissed when he saw that stupid grin he knew only meant there was some silly news to break.

"I'm not in the mood Jorge." He rolled up his sleeves, staring blankly at his computer screen.

"Why?" Jorginho shifted the seat across from him and settled in. He placed the files he was holding on the table and crossed his legs. "I thought the whole issue had been resolved? Hermes said Ariana called and apologized. The IT team, as we speak, is looking for better ways to secure the company. Everyone wins, "He shrugged. His eyes squinted when he noticed the blank stare on his friend's face. "What's up with you?"

"How would you describe my dad?" He suddenly shifted his attention from the screen, resting it on Jorginho's face.

Jorginho let out a dry laugh. "Your dad?" He raised a brow. "Are you sure you want me to answer that?" He shifted uncomfortably in his seat.

"Well yeah," Markris leaned forward. "I mean, my father has never hidden the fact that you weren't his favorite person. Now I want to know what you think of him." He said, giving him a pointed look.

"Hmmm," Jorginho rubbed the back of his neck, his jaw in a hard line. "Are you sure about this?" He squinted. "Cus you know if this is a setup, I may not pass."

"Bro!" Markris rolled his eyes, agitated with Jorginho's dilly-dallying. "Say what's on your mind. I'm asking because I want to know."

"Okay, fine. I think your father is ambitious. It's not a bad thing because you got that trait from him, and look at what you've accomplished." Markris bobbed his head in appreciation. He thought he got his drive from his father, too—the Andino gene. You couldn't replicate it anywhere.

"However...."

"Huh?" His heart began to thump loudly in his chest again. He liked to think his mother was making baseless accusations, and that's why he wanted the opinion of others concerning his father.

"The kind of ambition you have is the kind every genuine businessman draws inspiration from. The kind your father has is the desperate type. Maybe it is because he had too many people to fight off during his time so that he could preserve your family's fortune, or maybe it's just greed. Either way, it is a dangerous kind of ambition. The type that turns men into bloodthirsty demons, who will do any, and everything to get ahead." He heaved a sigh of relief as soon as he let it all out. He had been holding on to his opinion for too long. He never said anything because, despite Markris's struggle to break free from his father's hold, he still held the man in the highest esteem.

Markris stroked his chin, his eyes straight ahead. He took every single word Jorginho said and let it sink into his brain. He knew Jorge was not fond of his father, but he had always thought it was some surface shit. He just realized it wasn't. He could have just called him a monster because that was the description he had given.

"Look, Mark. You asked for my opinion, man. I may even be wrong. It's just how I see things. My perspective, and all." He said, hating the silence game.

Had he spoken too much? He wondered as he watched his friend deep in thought.

"It's okay," He suddenly shrugged," You're entitled to your opinion after all." Jorginho moved his lip to say something but quickly shut it. Markris was doing what he did best when it came to his father. Resist every opposing view, giving his father the benefit of the doubt, time and time again.

Markris drummed a finger sporadically on his table, fixing his attention on the documents. "What's that?" He stretched out his hands and picked it up.

"Yeah, I was going to give you this before the whole....." He let his words trail as Markis raised a finger. He had been warned. Once again, the discussion was over.