Chapter 36: The Fright

A week later

"My lady, you won't believe what Maria just sent me." Tanika burst into the balcony where Lorena was relaxing with a huge smile.

"Hey to you too, Tanika," Lorena giggled, watching the happy girl bounce from toe to toe. "What did Maria send?"

Tanika brought out her phone from her apron and stretched it forward so Lorena could read out the text. "Oh?" She nodded, reading further. "Wow, this is amazing!"

"I know, right?" Tanika laughed, twirling around.

"And it's all thanks to you, my lady. You are the best!" She gave her a thumbs up, her eyes shining with love and respect for the woman. She remembered when she was informed the lady of the house was coming.

She never expected it to be someone as nice as this. If she could describe Lorena to anyone, it would go this way; A light that subdued every darkness it passes through. She was just such a bowl of sunshine, and Tanika adored her beyond words.

"Oh please," She laughed, waving a dismissive hand. "It's really all just Maria's impeccable talent. I just happened to introduce her to Alonso, who introduced her to the big shots. Now she has her very own show. Also," She giggled and tilted her head conspiratorially. Tanika moved closer to her as they bent their heads together. "Don't tell anyone, but if I'm correct, I think Maria and Alonso are a thing."

"What?" Tanika's eyes bulged, and her hands flew to cover her mouth.

"Wait, you're both close. You should know all about it. Did Maria ever mention her attraction towards anyone recently?" Her brow furrowed, causing her eyes to squint.

"Hmmm," Tanika rubbed her chin, replacing her recent conversations with Maria in her head. "Oh!" She snapped her fingers. "I remember now. Last week when I was on my day off, I remember going to her place, but she wasn't around. She came back home the next day, all chirpy and smiley. I suspected she saw someone, but I didn't want to burst her bubbles."

"See!" Lorena clapped excitedly. "They're an item."

"I'm so happy for her. She deserves to be happy more than anyone I know." She said, her eyes moistening. She and Maria had been through the most in life, yet they had never stopped believing that they were made for bigger things than their realities dictated for them. Maria's dreams had finally paid off, and their horizon had broadened further.

"It's your turn next." Lorena suddenly said, and Tanika raised her head to look at her.

"What do you mean?" She laughed nervously, her fingers twisting together in front of her.

"I mean, surely you don't want to be a maid forever. You're young and a really good cook. Maybe you can attend a culinary school and become a chef."

"No," Tanika shook her head. "I don't see that happening to me. Besides, if I leave, who will cook for you?"

"You sweet little thing. Don't worry about me. I have Francesca and a whole host of others. I'm going to make sure you get everything you deserve cus you've been good to me." She said, stroking her hair lovingly.

The tears she had been holding back suddenly dropped from her eyes. "You'll do that for me?" Her voice, filled with tears, cracked.

"Don't cry, Tanika. You deserve it all and more." She said, pulling her into a hug. Tanika let her tears flow freely now. Lorena wasn't even that much older than her, but for the first time since she lost her parents, she felt the love of a mother.

"Thank you so much, my lady." She said between tears.

"Anytime." Lorena smiled.

The duo walked into the house hand in hand. Lorena had insisted Tanika hold her hands as they walked out, despite the girl's irrational fear of what the other workers would say. She didn't want it to look like she was getting preferential treatment, thus, becoming an enemy to everyone.