Chapter 4: The Pace

A car drove roughly into the Andino mansion, parking at the front of the house. Markris jumped down from the driver's seat, quickly shutting the door. As he walked to the living room, two men in black were already waiting by the door.

"Good afternoon, sir." They bowed.

"Yeah," He nodded and put a foot forward, but the men did not budge. "I don't know if you know this, but I'm trying to get into the house." He said, throwing a quick look between the two men.

"Uhmmm, sir," One of the men scratched his head as he looked to the other to bail him out. The other man threw his face away, not wanting to be caught in the middle. The first man sighed in defeat. "Your dad instructed us not to let anyone in." He finally said.

Markris turned around as if someone was standing behind him. He turned back to face them, his face contorted. "How come the front gate was opened for me to come in then? And why the fuck do my father's instructions apply to me?"

"Sir...." The quiet one spoke when Markris shoved them aside and pushed open the door.

"Sir..." They hurried behind him, but his strides were longer and with precise determination. He went straight to his father's room, and just as he stretched his hands to grab the door handle, it pushed open. A half-naked woman stepped out of it, with his father following closely behind in just a towel wrapped around his midsection, down. She stopped dead in her tracks, her head quickly falling to her feet.

"Oh?" His mouth hung open as his eyes traveled from her long legs to her face.

"What are you doing here, Adriano?" His father's face flushed with embarrassment as he looked through his son to his bodyguards behind.

"Sir, we tried to stop him, but he didn't listen." The silent one quickly defended himself. Markris was less concerned with their outburst and more worried about his father cheating on his girlfriend, which also happened to be his ex, with another woman.

He could imagine Lauren's face if she ever found out. His father was about to find out what the definition of crazy was.

"Leave us!" He ordered, with his tongue pressed against his teeth. The two men hurried away, leaving Markris, his father, and the brunette beauty.

"You too." Markris directed at the woman, who had her head hung in shame.

"What?" She raised her head as if she had been insulted with a slap across her pale face. She turned to his father, her brows raised, and lips pressed thinly together.

"Adriano?" His father spoke in a pacifying tone, but he wasn't in the mood.

"Look, Miss, I don't know what you think you're doing here, but he has a girlfriend. You may have even heard about her. You know Lauren, the famous event planner?" A look of horror quickly flashes through her face. "Yeah, she is vicious and ruthless. You better leave before she...."

Before he was done speaking, she had taken to her heels without so much as a glance backward.

"Come in, Adriano," Urso said, with his nose flared and his hands balled into a fist.

"I think we should speak in your office," He turned around and began to walk toward his father's home office. "I'll wait here while you change." He said the rest behind his shoulders.

Urso stood there, his mouth open as he watched his son's frame disappear into his office door. There was something about the way he talked to him recently that scared him. He wasn't the little boy that feared him considerably anymore, and day by day, he could see he was losing his grip on his son.

Sighing, he turned to his room and quickly changed into his clothes. He stepped out again and went to his office to find out why his son, who never came to his house until he requested his presence, was suddenly here. He pushed open the door to his office just in time to catch his son staring at an art piece on the wall.