Chapter 14: Ephemeral

"Have you heard, Bryn?" The woman with hazelnut hair attentively whispered to another lady.

"Heard what, madam?" The lady with hair of a shade of carmine red asked curiously.

The lady with hazelnut hair, Countess Richee, spread her fan and hid her gesture whispering to the lady.

"Goodness, your grace! I'm talking about this year's awaited Festival of Agnes! I heard that His Majesty will personally supervise the festival preparations when the church usually has the responsibility of executing this task." The countess said cautiously.

"Your courtesy, don't you think that is outrageous? The church has only that authority and His Majesty has nothing to do with that. It is a law. Sure, His Majesty can hold events such as parties and festivals, however, the Festival of Agnes is not an ordinary festival." She paused, putting a sugar cube in her coffee.

"Festival of Agnes is a devout to celebrate the annual year of the rise of our Kingdom, that said to be blessed by the God of Dawn, Agnes. The prosperity and its rich lands are all thanks to the blessings of the God of Dawn."

The countess, added to the lady with red hair, "I believe so too, letting His Majesty take over the festival is as if like he's taking control of the church's powers and authority. The church knows how sacred this festival is. They knew they are the only ones who are capable to handle that authority."

"I know that the church opposed the king though never been vocal about it. What is seriously happening to this country?" The countess apologetically stared at the people passing by in the transparent glass window.

"The king's action is unquestionable. His intentions are insinuated. We know that nobles aren't in favor of His Majesty; so His Majesty. If this action will lead to dishevelment, then, I guess this peaceful country will fall to despair."

"Bryn, are you in favor of His Majesty?"

The countess asked that leaving her in complete silence. Her face benumb.

"Favoring that monster? Never."

The countess said no more. It was enough to answer her questions. The countess continued to stare at the window, looking at the people passing by.

"You're being too formal again, Bryn. I told you to call me, Richee. Our ages apart aren't that too huge, you know!" The countess said, crossing her arms to her chest changing the topic.

The woman, Bryn, chuckled. "My deepest apologies, Richee."

The countess smiled again and wander her eyes around.

Until her eyes darted at the window's reflection, portraying a beautiful young boy. An evergreen color for his hair that compliments his almost yet light color of emerald for his eyes.

The countess thought upon seeing the young boy was spring. The season of blooming, new life, birth, and beginning.

Then, remembered. She called out to Bryn for her attention and pointed her hands at the young boy across their table, enjoying his desserts.

"Richee, what's the matter?"

"Bryn, that's......"

Bryn gazed at the boy. Her eyes enlarged. She had never seen that boy for years.

"That...that boy......The Glastieve's youngest child, Evyterr!" Bryn said. The lady was taken by surprise by seeing the boy.

After hearing what Bryn said Richee was stunned, she forgot about it. No, she nearly forgot about it.

"That boy, "Bryn lowly muttered, her face turned sour.

"I haven't seen him after that incident," Bryn said in her mind.