Chapter 15: Toska

"Your grace," the soldier greeted.

"Is Evyterr still not here?" Raffael asked, looking at the bustling crowd, assuming that Evyterr would be one of the people passing by.

"Young master is on his way, your grace."

Raffael is visibly worried. He knows Evyterr is no longer a child; he has servants and soldiers with him. It's just that he feels a little different about today; something bad is going to happen, or so he hopes not.

Raffael waited; looking still at the crowd. When moments passed he finally saw Evyterr amongst the crowd.

'He's fine, good.' Raffael thought, relieved.

Raffael stared at Evyterr making out of the crowd, he was about to greet him when he saw something in the crowd.

Wearing a black cloak with a cardinal red robe; a crest of a crescent moon as the body of a spider lily was clinging around it, in the middle of the robe.

They were behind Evyterr. Raffael's eyes widened, swallowed not by fear but vexation. Driven by perturbation for Evyterr's safety and rage at the threats they could implant in this country.

Raffael knew them. 'Those people shouldn't be here!'

Raffael could not move with all the thoughts in his messed up mind, being worried sick about Evyterr, and the cloaked men.

He only glimpses them for a moment and like dust they disappear from the crowd faster than a blink of an eye.

They were not revolutionary armies or mercenaries. They came from underground; a place where no light can invade.

Raffael remained lost yet still displayed a calm face, or so he thought he could.

His rigid face he tried to compose was shattered down by Evyterr.

Evyterr walked past him without a word or even batting an eye on him as if he was nothing like dust, no--he was even worse than that; Evyterr to him was nothing like a cloud of dust but a non-existent human being.

Having his existence has no value to Evyterr was unbearably excruciating. Raffael's eyes sank, and he gripped his hands into a fist, trying to harden his face, to cope with the pain.

'I wasn't able to talk to him' Raffael said in his mind. After the incident on the cliff, he didn't have a chance to talk to him even up to this day. He's been keeping to himself what the doctor advised them not to stress him too much and what Percival warned him.

Evyterr's carriage left as soon as Evyterr entered inside. It also leaves Raffael alone in the streets.

Raffael stared at Evyterr's carriage slowly disappearing from his horizon until it was no more. He didn't move his eyes away from the road where Evyterr left.

The cold breeze brushes Raffael's soft and silky hair; a small sad smile appears on his stiff face.

"This is enough."

Raffael loosened his hands. A soldier came and greeted him.

"Your carriage is rea--your grace! Your hands! It's bleedi--!"

"Leave it, we have to go. We need to catch up Evyterr's carriage." Raffael coldly replies.

"Y-yes, your-r grace," the soldier ran and got his work done.

Raffael stared at the blood escaping from his hands. The wounds in his hands don't hurt, he thought, as he gently caresses the bracelet hanging on his wrist.