Chapter 4: Coincidence?

In the darkness, two people watched as Xiu Xian and Kili quickly retreated.

"What do you think?" a female voice rang out.

"Fine," a male voice replied. "At least for now."

"Most of the higher-ups are under investigation now, except for a few of us who have been with the leader from the beginning. The plan needs to continue. Mephisto, we need 'outsiders' like him. His abilities seem promising. According to the intelligence, he can remove the crystals from the infected's body surface, which would make our operations a lot easier."

"Treatment?" Mephisto's voice became cautious.

The girl's voice followed, "Just removal. I've been observing him for some time. He is also an infected, seemingly capable of utilizing Originium to remove the surface crystals. However, it doesn't provide substantial help with Oripathy. The internal crystals cannot be dealt with. But he can temporarily suppress the outbreak of Oripathy. We need someone like him."

Mephisto remained silent for a moment. "Should we really recruit him now?"

"Yes, we need him. We need an outsider. You are in charge of the affairs in Lungmen, and I trust you. But do you trust those people beneath you? Those who could betray us are surely aware of us long-time squad leaders."

"Now, such an outsider is exactly what we need. He is currently just a peripheral member and couldn't possibly know about Lungmen. At least we can trust him."

Mephisto tapped his ear, "Fine, I'll trust him only for this task. Is he from Lungmen?"

"Just a doctor from the Outskirts," the girl said. "I've investigated more thoroughly than you, Mephisto. You've seen it too. He earns a living through these means. Treating Oripathy always has its share of surprises. Fortunately, he's quick to run."

"He doesn't seem like an oppressed compatriot," Mephisto watched Xiu Xian's retreating figure. "More like a heartless swindler."

"At least during his time here, he has helped our compatriots a lot. And just now, he took care of two policemen, didn't he?" the girl said. "We need this kind of 'doctor.' Lungmen cannot be without eyes. Now that so many personnel have been recalled, facing Lungmen is like being blind. Your progress..." The girl paused for a moment, not continuing her sentence.

"Alright," Mephisto finally nodded. He opened his earpiece, "Faust, move your crossbow arrows away. He's not an enemy, at least not for now. Help him with the troublesome people behind him."

After speaking, Mephisto looked at the girl, "You appeared here just to monitor me?"

"Just happened to be here, what a coincidence."

"Will you make contact with him later?"

"Yes." The girl turned around, "I won't disturb you anymore."

"Wait." Mephisto suddenly called out, "I have something to ask you."

"Speak."

"I am in charge of dealing with the traitors and spies in this operation." Mephisto stared at the girl's back. "Are you suspecting me by appearing here?"

"I'm here to make contact with him."

"I'm asking if you suspect me." Mephisto spoke words that were highly disadvantageous to himself, but his face was filled with a smile. "Answer my question directly, Crownslayer."

Crownslayer turned around, looking at Mephisto. She didn't answer but said, "You are the one in charge of the Lungmen operation."

After saying that, she disappeared from sight.

Watching Crownslayer's disappearing figure, Mephisto's expression changed multiple times.

In his earpiece, Faust's indifferent voice came, "I noticed some members' movements heading towards the police station. Suspect..."

Before he could finish his sentence, Mephisto coldly interrupted, "Kill them!"

...................

In a gang territory in Chernobog, Ch'en, covered in blood, cleaved open an iron gate.

Behind the gate, several hooded figures paled as they looked at Chen and the carnage behind her.

At the same time, waves of Originium arts surged out!

However, these things seemed nonexistent in front of Ch'en. With a few swift movements, she cut through everything before her, and cries of agony filled the air.

After a moment, only one person remained in the room, trembling on a seat.

"I'll ask, you answer." Chen's blade pressed against the person's throat.

The person across from her was covered in sweat, barely nodding.

"A year ago, the release of Oripathy in Lungmen, was it your doing?"

"Commissioned." The person struggled to speak, hoarse from the pressure on their throat. "It was a commission."

"Who was the client?"

"A group of strange individuals with black hoods. They gave us enough money to carry it out."

"These people?" Chen produced a portrait, depicting a figure dressed in a black coat with a black hood, obscuring the face almost completely.

Or rather, the portrait had no face at all.

"Yes, that's the attire!"

"You said a group?"

"Three... at least three."

"Who are they?"

"I don't know." The guy's face is full of dread. "At that time, the situation was similar to now, but they were slightly more lenient. At least those guys you killed were still alive. I dare not lie to you, really! You are much scarier than them!"

"I need intel about them."

"Well, I really don't know about that."

"Then you're worthless."

"They! They all have strange abilities!" The guy quickly exclaimed, "Very strange! It's not like arts at all! One of them can even transform into a monster!"

"Anything else?"

"That's all!"

"Very well." Chen finished speaking and turned away.

Just as the guy was catching his breath, Chen casually threw a little something into the room.

As she walked out of the factory, the booming sound of an explosion completely engulfed the building.

At the same time, Chen's communicator buzzed.

"Still on vacation?" a voice came through the communicator.

"Yes."

"What's that rumbling sound on your end?"

"Oh, we're setting off fireworks over here."

"You're quite close to it then." The voice continued, "We have a problem. Several of our informants cannot be reached. There are spies within the LGD."

"From which side?"

"Everywhere. I suspect it may be retaliation. The enemy is trying to disrupt our vision."

"Any losses for the LGD?"

"There are traces of files being accessed. One agent was found dead at home."

"The killer?"

"Not found yet."

"Don't tell me the files were information from our agents."

"Unfortunately, yes. However, the situation here is temporarily stable. But as you know, there are all sorts of characters in Lungmen."

"I'll return immediately. Until then, do your best, Hoshiguma."

"No problem."

Chen hung up the communicator, checked the time, and sighed. "It seems I'll have to make that guy work overtime before I go back."