Chapter 14.

Karden's POV:

I watch as goosebumps scale the back of Mavis's neck. Damien finishes his drink in two gulps and wipes the excess with the back of his hand. His friend group—also mine by means—reach over and greet us.

Mavis doesn't dare to move an inch as a few reach over to pant my back or shove me with a greet. Damien gives Mavis a playful glance and stands up from the table.

"Who's this?" One of Damien's friends, Lou asks, his gaze falling on Mavis. I want to scream, curse, thrash this table against them all. Damien came to talk because he knew he'd throw Mavis for bait.

Damien gestures at Mavis with an open hand, "This is Mavis. A friend visiting from the United States."

"I didn't know you were friends with a human as...delicious as her." Mavis flinches at the word and her body begins to tense when he reaches down for her hand. Mavis lets him as he kisses the back of her hand, eyes locking with hers.

"I'm Lou, it's a pleasure to meet you." Mavis's neck tightens and she nods to his introduction. He breathlessly chuckles when he let goes of her hand and the other four crowd around her. Her scent grows even stronger and so does the rush of her blood.

I wish I can take her away from them all as they prowl around her like the hungry beasts they are. They don't mind having a little fun and latch their mouths on any humans we encounter ourselves with. Trash vamps.

"Keep an eye on her Karden." Lou invites me into the conversation and hear the rest inhale behind her like savages. I'm sure they'll all go off soon to find some humans they can finish off.

Her voice lightens up the crowd, "I can handle myself." It's almost shaky but she still finishes confidently. Lou's chocolate eyes brighten with surprise, his tongue dragging along the front of his teeth. I place my arm around Mavis's shoulder and give it a gentle squeeze.

My god, she is so warm.

"She's off limits." I add to Lou without spilling anything. I eye Damien but he's too busy talking with two of his friends. Lou scoffs at my response and shrugs.

"Sorry, mate. I guess you and Aria will have a splendid time."

I shake my head defensively, "Not in that way, Lou and keep her name out of your mouth, will you."

The thought of Aria and Mavis makes my blood boil. Mavis is on fire right now and as much as she tries to brush my hand off her shoulder, I keep it there. Lou's smile drops and he nods respectfully to my request.

"It was a pleasure meeting you, Mavis. Hope to see you around more often." He ignores me when his full focus is on Mavis, eyes narrowing down to her neck.

"Sure," Mavis answer, sweet and short. I grind my teeth together when the ones that decide to linger around her make it noticeable that they desire more than her blood. I can smell the stench off them and I am guilty for being like that before...or for Mavis too. But I have a reason to be flattered around her since she is my mate.

I know that if Mavis was a pawn for them to take, they'd devour her in more ways than one and the thought of it pains my chest. Especially since Lou's father owns a Blood House, a system where humans are left in rooms and vampires can go in to feed on them. Similar to a whore house, these women are only there for two things. Damien has been there a few times and I've been there once when Aria and I were having a difficult time.

However, I couldn't stand feeding off a woman with bite marks all over her body and who reeks of sex and perfume. I just sat and spoke to her then paid her for her time. The following day she was dead from a rabid vampire who drained her.