Chapter 40.

Mavis's POV:

It feels like I am in a dream, floating on a cloud of abyss and begging to never return to earth. Constantly feel his large hands roam the aching parts of my body, his lips capture mine until they are sore and bound our soul together until we fall, fall and fall.

I run my hand over Karden's, feeling every tendon and twitch when I touch something tender. I clasp my fingers through his like a lock and key until we close them together. His firm touch never releasing mine. His other hand is caressing my head, running his fingers through my undone hair. It's gentle and calm with my eyes closed and my head resting on his chest.

"I will have to leave." Karden says, breaking the silence we've been laying in. My naked body is pressed against his, the bedsheet tangled between our legs and another blanket covering our bodies. I don't know how long we've been lying awake for but after not having enough of each other, hours must have passed.

Karden couldn't stop and I didn't want it to stop until I was shaking and panting and crying that he knew he had to control himself.

"Do you?" I tease, looking up at his face, inches away from his smooth, youthful one.

He squeezes my hand, "Yes, I can't raise any curiosities or questions regarding my absence."

I sigh, sitting and propping an open palm on the mattress to hold myself up. I look down at him and before my hair can fall around my face like a curtain, Karden tucks it behind my ear. His smile beams when I return a grin.

Now that I know we are tied, the true cunning feelings of our bond, I can feel it engraved deep within me. Although I worry for Sam and what Damien might've done, or if my father is actually missing, I can't fathom losing Karden.

It's silly to think about it.

"Is it always going to be like this?" I wonder and he furrows his brows, knitting together with a frown.

"No, no." He slides up, resting his back on the headboard and folding his hands in mine. "Just-just give me a day or two. A little after the ceremony for Aiden and Emilia. I want to clean some things up and make sure—"

"Make sure I don't get hurt." I finish, flashing back to Aria and her blood-soaked mouth and lethal stare. It's almost as if Karden knows who I'm thinking about because he nods and raises my hand to his mouth, planting a kiss on my knuckles.

"You'll be okay, Mavis. Nobody will touch you, ever. I promise to protect you until your life and mine are done."

I lean down and kiss him, feeling his lips warm and gentle on mine. When I pull away, I slide down and lay on him until I fall asleep to his fingers stroking my hair.

I wake up the next morning in empty arms.

Karden's POV:

As I got dressed to leave Mavis's apartment, I watched her sleep, her soft, calm face in a deep slumber of exhaustion. I rub my thumb along her cheekbone before leaving. The door is completely broken but I'm in hopes to have someone get it fixed before the host sees it.

I will be in contact with a maintenance worker from the estate to go when daylight rises. Running home didn't tire me with Mavis's blood in my veins. It actually exploded with power as I hurried back before someone, I know wakes for morning. Luckily, I dodged Aiden in the hall and slid into my empty chamber to shower and get clean.

Today is the ceremony and Mavis should be in attend. I left a note on her nightstand informing her that not only will a maintenance worker will be at the apartment, but a dress designer will be dropping off a gown for tonight.