Chapter 39.

I tug at the sharp pain, but he holds my arm tightly, feeding from me. Inhaling a sharp breath, Karden growls, his eyes darkening to a wave of colors. It's like sweet ambers burning in my gaze with a shift of green and orange.

It's like endorphins running through my blood, high and warm like the times we've kissed. Delicious and undeniably addicting. I press a hand on his chest and lean closer, the burns on his face healing.

Karden's POV:

Mavis invited me in, and it may be the worst mistake she has done. She has allowed me to taste her, give me life, let her blood flow in my veins. It's been decades since I've felt so famished, so diminished from the world, so dark and brooding.

Letting me in has made the world turn and our bond sharpen in gold and silver. Her blood, her sweet, delicious blood is clearing my thoughts, the pain burning in my nerves, and making everything I have imagined so warm and simple.

My mate.

Staring into her ferocious eyes, wide and fearful I might drain her, whimpering between her parted lips. I know she can feel it too, the yearning for each other. She's a little mouse handing her life to a predator that has promised to give her the world.

And more.

I pull away, my body aching for more of her hot, thick blood that has twirled my stomach into a knot. I want to mark her all over, make her mine so no one dares to go after her. When my fangs retract from her open wounds, she sighs pleasantly from the feeling.

Then I sit up, my tongue thick in my mouth, my lips craving hers just for a second...a minute...an hour.

No one is here, even though I was unconscious, I heard enough. My siblings came and took Sam. That bastard. Putting his hands on my mate, my Mavis, my everything. How can he call her his lover when he dared to leave a mark on her cheek.

I raise a hand and gently cup her pink cheek. Her head dips into it silently, closes her eyes for a moment then opens them again.

"Karden," I shiver at her gentle voice, my body crying, aching for her touch. "Are you okay?" She asks me, her heavy lids fluttering. I didn't bite too hard to the point she's bleeding out, but I can smell the wound.

"Yes." I answer quietly, running my hand down her neck, feeling her pulse racing beneath the surface. My fangs ache for a bite. Wanting more. Making her feel the high rush of pleasure.

She takes notice of my animalistic stare, moving her hair to the other side of her shoulder and tilts her head to the side.

Inviting me...

I curse, looking away from the hard pulse of her artery. Not only it is tempting but I smell her—her and how she wants me like the night of the show. I rock my hips to adjust the hardness in my pants.

It's a blessing and a curse. I've heard of mates completing their bond, staying in their rooms, blood sharing, having sex, almost completely devouring each other. It's savage-like and Mavis being only human...I don't want to hurt her.

"Mavis..." My voice is raspy, desperate, heavy.

"Do it, Karden. I know you want to." She pleads like she's begging for the bite, the pull, the ease, the high.

"If I do." I tell her, my voice dropping an octave. "There's no going back."

I'm afraid she's going to change her mind, but she doesn't move and continues to keep her head tilted to the side. I growl when she pulls her shirt off her shoulder, exposing her smooth skin.