Chapter 46.

Mavis's POV:

I kneel down and shake his shoulder, trying to wake him up. His pulse is faint but still a flutter to signify that he's alive. How long has he been like this?

"Dad, wake up." I say, my voice clogged in my throat and my eyes burning with tears. "Come' on!" I should call the police but that would expose magic and creatures that live in this world not many know of.

"He won't wake up." I whirl around with a gasp, seeing the tall slender figure standing at the doorway. I don't recognize him but his pale complexion, sharp jaw and hard eyes tells me that he's not human.

"Who are you." I slowly rise, phone in my hand. It's quivering, as well as my knees and every other part of my body. I think of Lou and the wound that is nonexistent on my arm tingles.

"I'm Maximus, Aria's father."

My face pales, "What are you doing here?" I try to buy time, thinking where I could go when I'm hundreds of feet in the air, cornered in a bedroom with a vampire standing at the doorway. 

There's a malicious smile on his lips, "I'm here to talk."

Another figure appears behind him and the reddish hair and small body tells me that it's Sam. Maximus steps aside and Sam sighs, eyes tired and worn and a frown on his lips.

"Let's have a seat in the living room, Mavis."

Karden's POV:

Calen sat in the den, arms crossed over his chest, the fire sprite on his shoulder doing the same. Issy is next to him, eyes soft and worried while Damien stood by the fireplace. His twin sister, Valerie sat on the other side of him, eyes burning as she stared into the fire.

"Please, Calen, we need your help."

His sister agreed to but Calen is being stubborn.

"I knew she was in trouble the moment I saw her here the night of the party."

Damien rolls his eyes with annoyance. "We get it, warlock. But instead of helping her escape you decided to run your hands and mouth all over her. So you're in the wrong too."

Valerie was surprised to hear that and I growled at my brother, hating to be reminded of Calen's hand under my mate's dress and his lips on hers. The fire sprite burned brighter.

"Listen, it's too powerful of a spell. I at least need something that's a part of her, like her blood or dead skin or hair. Then I need an address to where she can possibly be to create a portal for you to cross." He sighs, pulling a small grimoire and placing it on the table in front of me. I cross my arms over my chest, feeling a bit confident with this. "And crossing with absolutely exhaust you. I wouldn't be surprised if you sink your teeth into her without realizing she's your mate."

"Come' on Calen, be positive." His sister said, running a gentle hand down his arm. "There's a reason I was asked to help too. Both of our magic will be strong enough to open the portal without any failure."

He shutters, "I don't know..."

"Please," I kneel down to his height, hands splayed on the table. "I'm sorry I was a complete dick to you and I'm sorry for threatening your fire sprite." The little bud of fire burned blood orange. "But if your mate was in danger, I'd bring my entire family to help you."

Calen stares into my eyes and they soften. He sighs and runs a hand through his hair.

"Okay, okay. I'll just need a part of her." He says. The conversation falls short because I don't have anything from her.

"She used my brush on the night she stayed here. I'll get it." Issy stands up and fades out of the room, only the sound of the door shutting echoes.

Calen nods to nothingness, "Okay then we will start the spell."
Mavis's POV:

I was sitting in the center of the couch, legs tucked together and arms against my chest. Sam and Maximus stood over me and explained their plan.

"You want Sam to break the mating bond between me and Karden?" I question and the vampire nods.

"It'll be for the best."

"But painful." Sam said and Aria's father glared at him.

"Marry Aria to him, let them do whatever. It's done between us, I left for a reason." I say, voice shaking. The idea of breaking a bond sounds absolutely painful. I've never felt it before but the string inside me is quivering.

"It's not that easy." He states, voice deepening. He kneels down to my height, studying me. "Humans don't understand the deep scar that a bond leaves and how valuable it is to vampires. You may be angry and upset right now but...the bond will never vanish. Eventually you'll go back to him."

I hold his stare, studying the orbs as dark as coals. "I won't." I snap, teeth gritted.

He grins, standing back up and straightening his back. "We'll start soon."

"Wait," Sam says and I raise a brow. "Breaking a bond as well as creating one can take up a lot of energy."

The vampire glowers, "You're young and strong, warlock. I suppose a little magic won't kill you."

Sam looks at me and I give him a pleading look.

"Give me a few hours."

"I don't have that much time." He sneers, fangs in place. I gulp but Sam shakes his head.

"She has no way to contact anybody. We took her phone and she's locked in the loft."

"What about my dad?" I ask him and Sam shrugs.

"He was a part of my plan to get you home. I put a deep sleeping spell on him. Like a coma."

"And what about the company?"

"I was able to find a leave replacement for him. He decided to take a long vacation."

The vampire grins, "Warlock persuasion at its finest."

I gaped at my ex boyfriend in utter shock. I couldn't believe he was working with vampires and now going to break the bond so my mate can stay with a woman that almost killed me.

Karden's POV:

We watch when Calen and Valerie chant a spell over and over again. Their hands are shaking, faces pale and eyes closed. His fire sprite hit behind a book on the bookshelf, shaking with fear.

"We can't find an exact location of her home." His sister mutters like she's under a spell herself. "Go into the city and find her yourself."

"The city is huge with millions of people."

"The bond will guide you." Calen says and when he opens his eyes, they're foggy, milky white.

I swallow and the den shakes and I could only imagine the whole house does too. A small ball of smoke appears in the middle of the room then swirls bigger and bigger and bigger until it opens into a portal the side of a door.

"Go in before it closes." Calen urges then adds, "A portal moves at light speed. You may be fall for seconds but it's hours for us."

"That doesn't help." I growl. I need to get to Mavis urgently.

"Guarantee if your bond hasn't been snipped, she's still alive." His sister says, eyes milky white too when she opens them.

Their interlocked hands begin to shake and blood start to run down their noses and ears. I look at my siblings, missing Aiden because he stayed with Emilia. I step into the dark, stormy fog of a portal, feeling half my body stretch.

Then I'm shoved in, Damien and Issy coming in with me.

~*~
A few chapters left then it's done!
Can't believe it's been so long!
Vote, comment, follow me :)