Chapter 17.

I scoff, "A marriage? W-what about Aiden and Emilia, they're mates."

    The words sputter out of my mouth like vomit, trying my very best to avoid this conversation at all costs.

    My father glances at Maximus as I rub my hands along my thighs. This shouldn't be a discussion right now especially since my mate is here.

    "Aiden and Emilia need to have their first ceremony. The Blood Bond which will be very soon." Father explains and adds, "You and Aria have been together for a little over two decades, Karden. I think it's time one of my children get married and begin taking over the business."

    I deny it, "What about Damien? He's the eldest son—"

    Maximus laughs. "Damien needs to grow up before settling down. Aria loves you very much and expects to be with you forever."

    All of a sudden, my head is buzzing and I feel ill. Father looks at me with pity in his eyes but pries away.

The grin on my face vanishes and I answer. "I don't know."

My father stiffens to my response and Maximus stands. He straightens the coat of his suit and there's an uncomfortable smile on his lips. Maximus is a very well businessman next to my father but with them together...they're unstoppable.

"How come?" He asks with stiffness in his voice.

I shrug, unable to answer but I use something as an excuse. "I don't think I'm ready for a marriage."

"You and Aria are practically spouses. Tying the knock makes it literal." He argues impatiently and I purse my lips into a thin line.

My father watches as I swallow and clasps his hands together.

"I'm sorry, Karden but..." Father's voice trails off until I lock eyes with him. "We aren't asking for your approval."

Maximus grunts and every last bit of hope I hold comes crashing down. I don't bother to say anything or even argue since there is no point. My father stands and shakes Maximus hand before he approaches me and slaps his hand on my shoulder.

"You'll be a great son-in-law. And a great father soon enough." He mutters before nodding to my father and adding, "Nathaniel, a pleasure." Before exiting the office.

I listen to his footsteps fade before I snap my eyes to father, darkening with anger.

"You know." I mutter to him and my father leans back in his chair. "Mother told you."

He sighs, "Karden, this is for the best—"

I shoot up from my seat, "How could you? You bait me to the Carrington family and what, expect me to deal with them?"

My father's brows shoot up with surprise, "You are with Aria, Karden. I don't understand why you aren't complying since you are with her." He glances down and sighs, "He asked me to join families since Aria is ready to be wed."

"I'm mated, dad." I urge out although he knows. "You know I'm mated, and you still made this decision for me." It pains my chest, knowing that I will never be able to be with my mate because I'm marrying Aria.

    "It's very unrealistic to mate with a human." I run a frustrated hand through my hair.

    "You were mated with mom. Aiden is mated with Emilia a-and who knows about Damien and Issy and everybody else. You were matched with the person you were destined with. I have that." His expression softens when my voice breaks, "I have that, dad."

    He rubs his hands over his face stressfully and I fall back on the chair.

    "I'm just trying to figure her out though." I mutter, thinking of Mavis and how I had the willpower to leave her alone for two days. It was a long and harsh two days, but I couldn't look at her and not think of Hansen.