Chaprer 38.

"A warlock?" I mutter in shock. Karden is still out cold.

Sam runs a hand along the healed wound, rubbing his bloody fingers together. He turns with a grin, "Surprise you much?"

"How?" I swallow the bitter bile in my throat. Sam walks around Karden and towards me. I take a few cautious steps back. The door is broken but it's an inch open—my only escape. There's no heavy objects or sharp ones to protect me from him.

I jolt at his voice, "I'm not going to hurt you, Mavis."

"Have you used any of your spells on me?" I choke out, trying to remember anything when we were together. Anything that could've made me think he was supernatural.

His eyes glisten with regret, "Only for you to love me and never let me go."

"Oh my god." I cry out, realizing that none of it was real. "I-I...you manipulated me."

"No, no, I love you, Mavis. I will always love you, but I knew my magic wasn't strong enough when you were so stubborn to come here."

"Why me?" I choke out hoarsely, angry that he used me. Angry that Karden is unresponsive right now.

"Warlocks and witches have been pushed away by the vampires. My family was sent away. We want what everybody wants. What your dad wants."

"Expose them." Which makes me wonder if my dad knows the truth about the Du Pont family. What they really are.

"Yes, but sending you? It was a suicide mission, and you went without thinking twice about it."

"You're telling me my dad knows?" Sam pauses and he thinks about it then shakes his head.

"I don't know. I think he was being greedy."

I scoff angrily, "Sam, this is irrational thinking. What do you think will happen if you tell the entire world that vampires are real!" I scream and when he opens his mouth to answer, the broken door it pushed open again.

Damien appears in formal wear, his hair a bit messy and the same cocky smile on his lips when he says, "Nothing,"

Sam jerks back and raises a hand, "I wouldn't do anything stupid, vampire."

Yet Damien doesn't but narrow his eyes at him, stepping over his brother's body and towards Sam.

His sniffs once...twice then growls. He replies, "You're young."

Sam's fingers shake, "I'm young but I know enough to stop you."

Damien raises a brow, "Is that why your heart is racing? Why can I smell your fear? Why can I feel the horrors of frantic pumping through your veins?"

Sam parts his lips puzzlingly and furrows his brows, "What are you—"

In a flash, Damien slams him into the wall, the frame beside their heads shaking. I gasp, rushing to them but stop when Damien peels his lips back and exposes his fangs.

Sam's eyes widen, gripping Damien's shoulders to pull him back but Damien is stronger. Makes me wonder if this is Sam's first occurrence with vampires.

"What's wrong, warlock? Scared of vampires?" He hisses, a few inches away from Sam.

"Have a bite." Sam offers, turning his head and exposing his bloody neck.

Damien chuckles, "I'm not an idiot like my brother. I don't let love get in the way of things."

Sam holds a smirk then there's smoke coming off his body. Damien grits his teeth, his hands burning. He pulls him off the wall and throws him across the room. Sam flies into the other wall and falls on the ground.