Chapter 27.

Mavis's POV:

I grab my belongings from the guest bedroom and toss the strap over my shoulder. Issy pushes off the wall and gives me a worn, loose smile that doesn't reach her eyes.

"Damien is waiting in the garage." She begins as we walk down the hallway together.

"Thanks for doing this again." I tell her with a sigh, swallowing down the tightness in my throat. I'm a complete idiot for almost crying when we left the library. Especially after Aria announced their engagement.

I feel almost pity for Karden. He looked lost, confused, and frustrated during the conversation. As his eyes landed on me, even when I didn't catch his contact, I felt them lingering with disapproval.

"Seriously Mavis it's nothing. I told you; your company is always welcomed here."

"Mhm," I hum from my throat, grinning when she looks at me. We cut down a back way, a route quicker to the garage.

I don't remember where the garage is, only from the room I was sent to the night I was caught. These new halls are unknown to my memory.

Suddenly, I hit a force and something stops me. Shaking my head, I take a step again as Issy continues to walk away without acknowledging what just happened to me. I jolt back again from something invisible blocking my pathway.

"Issy?" I call out but she doesn't budge from my voice. Only turns around and looks...confused.

"Mavis?"

"Issy!" I shout again but she doesn't see me even though she's looking directly at me.

"You are hidden." An older woman's voice begins. I gasp, whirling around and finding an older dark-skinned woman hobbling her way to me with a cane.

"Hidden?" I wonder nervously, watching Issy cut around the corner to find me.

"Under my magic." Magic. She must be a witch.

"You are?" I ask, aware of the danger I can be in, but she looks harmless.

"I am Greta." She introduces before adding, "And you are the famous Mavis Truman."

"Famous?" I scoff, holding the bag by the strap tightly. "I'm just a girl from New York."

Greta laughs and shakes her head. "Not here, darling."

I gulp at her answer and glance around when I hear Issy call my name again.

"Is this the part where you tell me that I'm not fully human?" I joke—half-heartedly—even though I am being a little serious. Greta's warm, chocolate eyes answer without words spilling out of my lips.

"You're human—very human."

I lean from one foot to the other, watching her clasp her hands above her cane.

"Not to be rude but why did you magically put me in an invisible bubble to talk to me?"

Greta tilts her head to the side. "I wanted to meet you alone." She walks to me and grabs a hold of my hand. I feel something pure and warm from her palm, shooting down my body like waves. "I also wanted to tell you that there's a forbidden love."

"Forbidden love?" I question and she nods, an approving noise escaping her throat. I furrow my brow, thinking of Sam. "I don't understand."

"I can't say much about it but there is someone waiting for you."

"Sam?" I whisper but Greta hears and shakes her head.

"No matter what you do, don't leave." She insists, her hands squeezing mine. "Do not return to America."