Chapter 47.

Karden's POV:

Going through the portal was the most painful feeling ever. It felt as if my body was pulling and prying apart, shrinking and twisting organs and crushing my brain into a nut. When we appear in an alleyway between two tall buildings, I fall into the building wall gasping for air.

Damien grimaces at the smell of the dumpster near us. I stop breathing to ignore the stink and Issy falls into the building wall, eyes hazy and face ashen. I rush to her and she looks up at me with blue lips.

"You look like shit." She says to me and I roll my eyes.

"You too."

"Let's see where we are and see if Karden can feel Maeve."

I suppress the hunger, burying it deep down so I am not distracted or waste time finding Maeve. The bond felt stronger though, closer and screaming for connection. We rush out of the alleyway and are invited upon pedestrians walking on sidewalks, yellow cabs honking in traffic, tourist busses driving by in admiration.

"This is...intense." Issy sighs, running her fingers through her hair. I glance at my sister and something moves in her bag. I furrow my brows, looking at it when she place a hand on the top.

"What's in there?" I concur and she averts her gaze.

"What's in what?"

"Your bag. Something is moving."

"Nothing is—" Damien yanks it to him and Issy hisses. A group walking past us turn and look then proceed to walk away.

He opens the flap and Calen's sprite pokes his head out until Issy shoves him back in.

My mouth drops, "Issy, how did you—"

She pulls her bag back to her side, "He wanted to come and he may be in good use. We don't know what we're up against."

Damien shrugs, eyes dark blue and hungry, "She's right."

I purse my lips into a thin line and nod.

"I feel her there." I point down the Avenue and we start to walk.

Suddenly, I am stabbed with unbearable pain, clenching my chest like my heart has been stabbed by a million daggers. I stumble off to the side, almost hitting a mother and her child. Issy grabs a hold of me, her vampiric strength reeling me into her.

"What's the matter?" She urges and Damien tugs both of us to the side and away from curious witnesses.

"I-I can't—" I gasp, falling onto one knee while Issy still clings to my arm.

"Karden, you're bleeding." She gasps and I open my eyes, seeing dark red, almost black against the concrete sidewalk. I rub the back of my hand over my nose, blood spewing out.

I look at Damien, his face pale like he saw a ghost. He's feeling my emotions, the aching tightness in my chest like someone is squeezing the blood out of my heart.

The attachment of two lives diminishing.

"Something is wrong." I cry out heavily, blood on my lips and down my chin.

"We need to hurry." Damien says. "The bond is breaking."

"Impossible, it'll kill whoever is doing it." Issy says, eyes startled.

"Sam." I answer, lips firm, tongue tasting blood.

"If we don't make it on time. We won't find Mavis in this place at all." Damien urges, helping me back to my feet, all three of us rushing in the streets of New York.