Chapter 23.

Karden's POV

    Mavis looks at me unsurely then pries away.

    "Okay, I will just need a phone charger to contact my dad." I smirk at her answer and Issy claps excitedly.

    "Welcome to the Du Pont estate. Where dreams are broken." Damien smiles darkly and I give him a really look. Mavis shivers at his comment and Issy gags at our brother while Aiden continues to finish the soup.

    I don't understand him, but he always eats human food even when he doesn't want to. I'm not cleaning vomit later when he throws up that's for sure.

    Issy leans forward and says, "I'm going to show you the stables tomorrow."

    Mavis raises a brow, almost positive that she knows what Issy means but still questions it. "Stables?"

    "Yes! We have horses on our estate." She answers and something fades from Mavis's face. It's almost like she's gone cold thinking about the horses. I furrow my brows, trying to read her face but she doesn't budge at all.

Mother nods at father. They both stand and place their napkins on the table.

    "Excuse us. Mavis, make yourself feel at home. I'm sure Issy bought you pajamas and additional pair of clothes." Mother tells Mavis and her cheeks flush pink when she runs a hand along my mate's shoulder.

    My mate.

    "Um, thank you." She replies before returning to eating the rest of the soup that has gone cold.

    Once our parents leave, my siblings and I look at each other until Mavis finishes her meal. Damien winks at me then proceeds to start a conversation with her.

    "Mavis, is there anything specific you'd like to do? We have an indoor pool, we can play hide and seek or—"

    "First thing." Mavis cuts him off and Aiden snorts when she raises a finger at Damien. "Don't you dare use your little emotion controlling powers on me." She snaps and Issy stiffens at her words.

    I narrow my eyes at my little sister. Father was asking me about one of Lou's missing men because of her. Issy has something she is keeping from all of us but I'm not in a rush to know what. I'll find out soon enough.

    "Someone is angry." Damien mutters, in complete shock of Mavis's reaction. "I'm trying to be a nice host."

    "You're not if your friend is the one that came after me." Her eyes are sharp and serious. There's no smile on her pouting lips and her heart has picked up a pace since my parents left.

    I want to tell Mavis to shut up, but she doesn't seem happy with me either. I lean back in my seat and watch them bicker at each other from across the table.

    Damien shakes his head, "I didn't know Lou was going to kidnap you."

    Mavis sneers when she says, "You're telling me when Lou asked for a bite he was lying after saying quote-on-quote Damien insists." Damien's smile vanishes although his eyes are wicked. His face turns flush even though he is the palest in the family. I've never seen him so transparent.

    "Right, I did give him the okay." He admits quietly.

    Mavis purses her lips into a thin line and nods. Aiden's whistle cuts through the air like a blade.

    "Low blow brother, low blow." Damien hisses and flashes a fang at him before his deadly sapphire eyes return to Mavis.

    I don't know what made her snap but I'm glad she's reacting this way. I was as mad at Damien than I was with Issy last night. Only I decided to react angry at the wrong sibling.