Chapter 1 - Songs of Spring

Third Age, 2941
Ithilien
Present Day

      The arrival of spring in Middle Earth was a time that was believed for new beginnings, a turning point.
The city of Ithilien, a ravishing land south of Minas Tirith, known for its thickly guarded forests, winding rivers and lushes waterfalls. Streams are numerous and the forest is home to all kinds of herbs, flowers and creatures alike. Winters were not as bitter in these parts of the land, but that was not to say it still was not a sign of relief when the frost melted from the leaves, the flowers flourished and the crisp chill of winter no longer clung to the branches of the dense forest trees.

The Dunedain Rangers, guardians of Ithilien's borders, patrolled the outskirts, ever vigilant against the looming shadow of Mordor

The Dunedain Rangers, guardians of Ithilien's borders, patrolled the outskirts, ever vigilant against the looming shadow of Mordor. While orc attacks were rare, the Rangers' watchful presence ensured the safety of their homeland. Among them were two Rangers bound not just by duty, but by a deep and unbreakable friendship. Deep within the woodland, a small cabin sat near the river. The wooden structure sat in a small clearing, where sunlight hit the windows, and a grassy plane for their horses to graze upon. Here they could be found.

Jahan awoke to the rhythmic sound of hooves fading into the distance. Rubbing the sleep from his eyes, he stepped out of his room and glanced into the adjacent chamber. The bed was neatly made, its occupant conspicuously absent.

With a resigned sigh, Jahan muttered to himself, "She's at it again."
Memories of Anaynah's previous solo escapades flashed through his mind, each one a testament to her fierce independence and unyielding spirit.
Meanwhile, following the gentle murmur of the river, one would discover Anaynah's secluded sanctuary—a serene waterfall nestled deep within the forest.

Here, Anaynah sat, enveloped by nature's embrace. The gentle rush of water over stone lulled her into a state of peaceful contemplation, her senses heightened by the symphony of the forest.

Her tranquility was interrupted by a rustling in the underbrush. Alert and ready, Anaynah's hand instinctively reached for her sword as a green snake emerged, its eyes fixed intently on her. In that moment, a strange connection bridged the gap between them—a shared understanding of earth, fire, and magic.

As the snake lunged, Anaynah's reflexes kicked in, her blade finding its mark. Regret washed over her as the wounded serpent retreated, leaving her to grapple with the consequences of her actions.

Seeking solace, Anaynah immersed her hands in the cool river, letting its soothing touch quench the fiery essence within her. As her eyes returned to their natural hue, she mounted her white stallion, Haldor, and began her journey home.

"Let's head back, Haldor," Anaynah whispered, "I've had enough excitement for one morning."

______

As Anaynah stepped into their cozy home, the inviting aroma of fried eggs and warm bread greeted her, making her realize just how hungry she was.

"Ah, playing the role of the gracious host, I see," Anaynah teased, eyeing the plate of food Jahan had set out for her. He chuckled, pouring a glass of milk that she promptly claimed as her own.

"Only the best for my dear friend," Jahan replied with a wink, sliding the plate closer to her. Despite his gruff exterior, his actions spoke volumes about his care for Anaynah.

"So, where did you disappear to this morning?" Jahan asked, cracking a couple more eggs onto the sizzling pan.

"Must you always play the inquisitive role?" Anaynah retorted, hastily taking a bite of bread. Jahan arched an eyebrow at her lack of manners.
"I merely took Haldor for a ride," she continued, gesturing towards the window where their horses grazed peacefully. "He's been restless lately. Perhaps you should do the same for Hithone."

Jahan pointed his utensil at the dwindling plate of food before her. "Why didn't you take him along? Seems like a fair trade for my culinary skills."

"Ah, but Hithone grows jealous when I lavish attention on Haldor. Your horse seems to prefer my company over yours," Anaynah quipped, earning a hearty laugh from Jahan.

Their bond was undeniable, forged through shared adventures and countless trials. They had become more than friends; they were family.

"I'll be heading to Ithilien soon," Jahan announced, rising to clear the dishes. "Need to discuss our next scouting mission with the Rangers."

Anaynah smiled appreciatively at his thoughtfulness.

"I'd offer to join, but after this morning's escapade, I think I need some rest."

Jahan shot her a puzzled look.
"Just a simple ride with Haldor, you said?"

Caught in her own web of deceit, Anaynah scoffed and hurled her empty cup at him, which, unfortunately for him, he missed catching.

_______
First official chapter!
Please take your time and enjoy these easy-paced chapters. We all know the storyline, we know it only goes downhill from here! Leave a comment and a vote if you liked the chapter!
Ps, how perfect was the Beauty and the Beast music in the background when picturing Ithilien!

- I <3