Chapter 7 - The Wooldand Realm

Tension filled the air as one Elf came to a skidding halt in front of Thorin, an arrow aimed between his eyes.

"Do not think I won't kill you, Dwarf. It would be my pleasure," the white-blonde-haired Elf spat, his voice dripping with disdain for the lesser being before him.

Another bow was swiftly drawn.

"You would die before your arrow is loose!"

    The Ranger nocked her bow, her arrow trained on the forehead of her potential adversary.

    Her voice rang with unwavering resolve, undeterred by the array of drawn bows aimed her way. Her eyes remained locked in a fierce standoff with the defiant blue gaze that challenged her. The young Elf's bow was still poised.

    Thorin cast a commanding glance at Anaynah, silently urging her to stand down. While he appreciated her protective instinct, he recognised their unstable position. He gently guided her bow arm down, signalling her to stand down. Reluctantly, she lowered her bow, prompting the Elf before them to follow suit. Yet, her vigilant eyes never wavered, tracking his every move.

    It was Fili's alarmed voice calling out his brother's name that broke her focus. Her stomach dropped as she spotted Kili scrambling away from an advancing spider. Before she could act, a fiery-haired Elleth descended swiftly, dispatching the spiders in her path to aid Kili. He would be alright.

    "Search them!" The Elf leader commanded, exuding authority with his posture. Anaynah could practically smell the smugness off him. These Elves were not like her kin in Rivendell, which worried her. Guards efficiently disarmed them, confiscating her sword, daggers, and bow, which the Elf leader claimed.

    "This bow is of Elven make. All your weapons are," he observed, scrutinising her. "A Ranger," he concluded. "How did a Ranger manage to stumble across these?"

    Anaynah naught but glared at him, her lips a thin line. Realising he wasn't getting an answer, he walked away. He approached Gloin, who stood near Anaynah, now going through his pockets, finding a small metal clasp which he opened.

    "Hey! Give it back! That's private!" The Elf looked bemused at a picture of a bearded Dwarf.    

    "Who is this? Your brother?" he taunted.

    "That is my wife!" Gloin retorted. The Elf's gaze shifted to another drawing—a young Dwarf with a beard.

    "And what is this horrid creature? Goblin mutant?" he mocked.

    "That's my wee lad, Gimli," Gloin snapped. Anaynah's gaze remained unwavering, pondering whether this Elf's arrogance was typical of Mirkwood or an exception.

 Anaynah's gaze remained unwavering, pondering whether this Elf's arrogance was typical of Mirkwood or an exception

    Surveying the group, she noticed Fili had his arsenal of weapons in his attire confiscated. The blonde Elf, presumably the captain, conversed in Elvish with the flame-haired Elleth. Their words sent shivers down her spine; the last thing she wanted was news of increasingly bold Giant Spiders.