Chapter 9 - The Feast of Starlight

The grand hall of the Woodland Realm was transformed into a realm of enchantment, bathed in the soft glow of countless lanterns that hung from the ancient rafters. Elaborate tapestries depicting the lore and legends of the Elves decorated the walls, their intricate designs shimmering in the gentle light. Tables laid with an array of delicacies stretched out across the polished stone floor, promising an evening of opulence and intrigue.

Anaynah stepped into the hall, escorted by Legolas. The murmurs of the courtiers filled the air as they moved through the hall, casting curious glances their way. Despite the spectacle surrounding her, Anaynah maintained her composure, her focus unwavering as she prepared herself for the challenges ahead.

At the far end of the hall, Thranduil awaited their arrival. His regal presence commanded the attention of all who entered, his eyes sharp and assessing as they settled on Anaynah.

"Anaynah of Rivendell," Thranduil greeted, his voice smooth as silk. "Thank you for joining. I trust you are comfortable."

"Yes, my lord."

"And I trust you strayed away from the prisoners?" he glanced to Legolas to confirm.

Her heart raced as she felt Legolas's gaze upon her, fearing he might betray her earlier excursion. To her relief, he remained silent, his expression unreadable.

"I complied with your wishes, my lord," Anaynah replied, her voice steady but her eyes betraying a hint of apprehension.

Thranduil studied her for a moment, his gaze probing, "Very well," he said, nodding approvingly. "Come with me. We shall retreat for a glass of wine before joining the festivities. As promised, we shall discuss what we agreed to."

As they followed Thranduil into the adjoining chamber, the atmosphere shifted, the noise of the hall fading into a muted hum. The room was elegantly furnished, with plush chairs and a table set with wine and goblets.
The atmosphere shifted as Thranduil led Anaynah and Legolas into a more intimate chamber, the door shutting abruptly behind them. Two guards stood sentinel at the entrance, their presence adding to the room's palpable tension.

Thranduil poured dark liquid into goblets, the rich aroma filling the air as he handed one to Anaynah and one to Legolas. She accepted it, her eyes meeting Thranduil's for a brief moment before holding the goblet without taking a sip.

"You have travelled far, Anaynah," he sat at the head of the table, gesturing for Legolas and Anaynah to do the same, "Tell me, what roads have you walked? What lands have you seen?"

Anaynah considered her words carefully, choosing her path through memories and half-truths, "I have journeyed through the Misty Mountains, Grey Mountains, and Gondor. In recent years I have taken up residence in the forest of Ithilien, I help patrol the borders with the Rangers in the city." she began, her voice steady. "Yet, I have always harboured a desire to visit Mirkwood, to witness its ancient beauty and grandeur."
Thranduil's eyes narrowed slightly, intrigued but guarded.

"Mirkwood has its charms," he conceded. "But it is not a land for the faint of heart."
Legolas watched the exchange, his expression unreadable. Anaynah sensed his scrutiny, aware of the delicate balance she was navigating.

"Indeed, every land has its challenges," Anaynah replied, meeting Thranduil's gaze evenly. "Yet, it is often in facing these challenges that we discover our true strength."

Thranduil leaned back in his chair, the tension in the room palpable.

"Wise words, child. It seems you have learned much on your travels." Almost a mockery. Anaynah felt a flicker of unease, sensing the undercurrents of the conversation.