Chapter 16 - The Emergence

Anaynah 22 years of age,
Outskirts of Rivendell

The sky was blackened by the clouds of rain and the sound of blades clashing filled the air. The soldiers of Rivendell and Orcs charged towards each other, with their war cries echoing across the city.

      The ground shook with the impact of their blows. Arrows soared through the air, finding their targets with deadly accuracy. The raid raged on for hours, with neither side gaining the upper hand. The Elves' main goal was to drive the Orcs out of the village and evacuate any innocent people who remained. The night was dark with no stars lighting the sky.

      A red sun would rise the next morning for much blood was to be spilt.

______

Anaynah rode with haste. She knew she had defied her father and she knew she'd pay the price for it soon enough, but she was not one to sit idle whilst others fight those battles in place of her.

A strong appetite she had to prove herself worthy for she was always treated differently growing up in Rivendell, as she indeed was different. She had to prove she was strong enough and that no simple sickness of mortals could stop her from fulfilling her duties.

After what felt as if she was riding for eternity, she finally sensed she was approaching the battlefield. The roars and cries sounded through the air, enough to make one's blood curdle. She could see the dust rising, she could feel the dense air and the stench of death drawing near.

She would soon be proudly fighting alongside her father and brothers, however, fate had other plans.

A pang of pain first started in her chest, a sharp prick almost, causing Anaynah to inhale sharply. Brushing it off, she gripped the reins tighter and urged on faster.

Through gritted teeth, she winced as the pain now intensified, and a burning sensation quickly circulated to her limbs. It was as if the aches of the fever she had been suffering returned. But no, this was different. This was worse.

She wanted to scream and call for help, but no sound came out. Her breath was caught in her throat and her body convulsed as if it was being wracked by an invisible force.

Suddenly, the pain heightened, coming to be almost excruciating, causing her to lose her grip on the reins. She tried with all her strength to hold on, to get a grip on the strips or reins but it was no use. Her trembling hands shot to her chest, causing her to come plunging off her horse, landing forcefully on the ground.

The momentum sent her toppling forward, a cry of pain escaping her lips as her body bruised upon skidding across the dirt and rocks.

Slowly, Anaynah tried heaving herself up. Lifting her head, she managed to pry herself up to her elbows. She lay there gasping for breath, however, another stroke of pain caused her to cry out.

Anaynah was petrified. She did not understand what was happening or why. Was she to perish? She was alone, her father and brothers just out of reach. no one would find her here. She felt as if her bones were breaking, one by one. She wanted to cry out for help, but she was paralyzed by the agony. The cracks and crunches were enough to make a grown man sick, her vision darkened. She clamped her eyes shut.

      All of a sudden, the pain ceased. Something within her shifted. She sensed a surge of energy, as if a dam had blasted, and the roaring waters gushed through.

A feeling began to stir, smoke began to arise from her pores and a sensation that she was losing control of her herself began to form, as if something was taking over.