Chapter 4 - Threshhold of Shadows

Weeks it had been since the Company had had the privilege of travelling on horseback. The Dwarves had been given stunning paint Ponies by Beorn, whilst Gandalf and Anaynah were both given a stallion each to ride more comfortably due to their taller stature.

    As Anaynah became acquainted with her steed, she could not help but miss Haldor, her horse gifted to her by Jahan. Oh, how she missed him too. Her dream from a few moons ago caused her mind to wander as she stroked the dark mane of her horse. A deep love she had for these animals, being around them was enough to soothe her soul, she had always had respect for these animals and never would she take the life of one in battle.

    "Are you waiting for a boost up?"

     Anaynah turned her head to see Fili beside her with a mischievous smirk on his face.

    "I wouldn't antagonise her this early, brother. You know how she gets."

    From beside Fili, Kili came into view with the same grin on his face, gripping the reins of their ponies as he led them on. The Ranger let out a scoff at their cheeky comments.

    "You would do well to listen to your own advice, Kili. You know how I get." Anaynah replied with the same level of snark as the princes before her. The three all shared a soft laugh amongst themselves. A warm feeling stirred within her as she looked at the brothers. So grateful she was to find that the learning of her heritage did not change the way they saw her. They still treated her with the same level of kindness and love as before.

    "Gandalf, time is wasting!"

    The whole crowd's attention shifted to Thorin, his commanding voice echoing from the head of the Company. Anaynah's gaze then wandered to Gandalf, who seemed engrossed in a serious conversation with the Skin-changer, his face etched with worry. It didn't take long for Gandalf to rejoin the group, mounting his horse in haste, and signaling their imminent departure. The Company began to move forward, leaving behind the wondrous of Beorn.

    But as they rode on, a pang of despair pierced Anaynah's heart, causing her to pull on the reins, bringing her horse to an abrupt halt. Fili, ever observant, noticed her sudden pause and halted his horse beside her.

    "Anaynah? Is something wrong?" he asked, concern evident in his voice.

    She turned her head swiftly, her eyes fixating on Beorn, who stood tall and watchful, observing their departure. After a moment of contemplation, a determined resolve took hold of her.

    "I'll catch up," she veered her horse around. With a burst of speed, she cantered back in the direction of the barn.

    As she drew nearer, Beorn's face twisted in confusion, his eyes following her every move, puzzled by her unexpected change of course.
She slowed down as she came to face him.

    "Beorn, I just wanted to express how truly grateful I am that you granted my friend's sanctuary and are now offering us safe passage. You are truly a kind man."

    Beorn stood tall, his gaze fixed upon Anaynah as she mounted her horse. Though she was now on horseback, she couldn't help but feel the weight of his presence towering over her. His eyes, filled with weariness, revealed a depth of kindness that touched her soul.

    "Miss Anaynah, you are ever so welcome," Beorn's voice resonated, a gentle smile gracing his lips. "Remember, if ever you find yourself in need of shelter, my home will always welcome you. May our paths cross again," he added, his words carrying a sense of warmth and sincerity. Anaynah reciprocated with a smile, placing her hand over her heart in the Elven farewell. Without further ado, she turned her horse, urging it into a swift canter to rejoin the group. As she rode away, Beorn's gaze followed her, a mixture of curiosity and wonder swirling in his mind. The strange markings on her arm intrigued him, leaving him pondering the fate that awaited the young Ranger.