Chapter Sixteen

The next day I was thinking about Gray and the time we had spent together and how that seemed to be centred around the beach. It had all be a lot of fun, the kind of fun I wanted to have with my boyfriend. As soon as Teddy came into my mind I felt remorseful, I knew I shouldn't because I had done nothing wrong but while he was working hard, I was playing on the beach with another man.

I wasn't due to start work for another hour so I decided to call Teddy but it went straight to voicemail. Sighing I left a message before hanging up, maybe with the time difference he couldn't answer or maybe he was mid-flight.

I went to work and did what I was told, went through the motions and when the day ended I ignored all invitations out and went home. I was trying to be myself but I felt like I had somehow lost that in the pursuit of finding what Zak and Billy had together.

I had waited for Teddy and when he had come into my life I was elated but now he was being accused of cheating by my brother. He was god knows where in the world and instead I was spending my time with a man I barely knew and beginning to develop feelings for him.

Gray was everything I wanted Teddy to be, he was just as good looking as Teddy, and he was kind and smart. Most importantly he was here whenever I wanted him to be and that was a good feeling. Ok now I am definitely turning into a girl, my emotions are all over the place.

My phone went off snapping my out of my thoughts and I jumped up to get it hoping it was Teddy but the message was from Gray. I opened it and he was asking me to go to the beach with him for ice cream again, I was pissed off at myself for moping about so I sent him a text back saying I would meet him there in fifteen minutes.

I jumped in my car and drove the short distance to the beach. The ice cream place was packed as usual but I found Gray waiting for me outside. He had already taken the liberty of buying my tub so we walked to the pier edge and sat with our legs dangling off the end.

We talked for a while or at least I thought we did but it didn't seem too long after I arrived that Gray was asking me if I was ok and if I wanted to go home. I apologised and smiled at him, picking up my spoon and putting more of the delicious, now melted ice cream in my mouth.

"So how is Teddy then?" He asked.

"I don't know."

"You don't know?" He looked puzzled.

"Well I haven't heard from him since he left, I have tried calling but it keeps going to voicemail." I replied sheepishly, aware of how stupid that sounded.

How is it possible to be in a relationship but not be able to get in touch with your boyfriend the whole time he is away? It is embarrassing to admit that to someone who is so keen to be around you all of the time but you keep pushing them away because you're supposed to be taken.

"That sucks I'm sorry." He patted me on the back and I could actually see the pity which didn't help.

"Yeah thanks."

"Look here's a thought why don't you go see him?" He smiled at my clear disbelief at his suggestion. "No seriously hear me out, why don't you call the airline and say you want to surprise him so can they tell you where he is stopping and you can fly out and see him or I don't know be on the same flight or something?"

"Gray that sounds all very romantic but they aren't going to give me that information dude." I smiled at him. "Besides he will call soon enough, I am sure he's just busy and its ok I am having a good time here.

I nudged him with my shoulder and he smiled and nudged me back. When we had finished our ice cream and the sun had set I told him I wanted to go so that I could try and call Teddy again. We stood up and Gray pulled me into a hug, I was surprised at first but threw my arms around him for a few seconds.

I pulled away and grabbed my keys, saluting him as I walked away towards my car. When I was in I called Teddy and there was no answer again so I drove home and went to my room where I tried again. This time, finally he answered and I breathed a sigh of relief.

"Hey baby I am sorry I haven't returned any of your calls we have just been flying out none stop."

"It's ok. So when will you be home?"

"I don't know, I am trying though Drew I promise." He sounded genuine. "So what have you been up then?"

"I have just been hanging out at the beach for the last few days of my holidays, then went back to work. I have been trying to reach you and just lazing about my room. How about you in your spare time?"

"Who have you been hanging out at the beach with?" He asked.

"Grayson."

"Gray?" He asked a little shocked. "The dude from the bar and the beach party the night I left?"

"Yeah that's him."

"Oh."

"There is nothing to worry about Teddy, it's just you weren't here and he was free so we went for ice cream and a walk along the beach."

"Sounds romantic." He said a little pissed now.

"Yeah well maybe if you had stayed for our holidays as promised I would have walked with you along the beach, held your hand and fed you ice cream."

"You held his hand?! Fed him ice cream?!"

"NO!" I yelled. "I said that if you were here it would have been more romantic. Gray was just being a friend to me when I was down."

"I am so sorry that I work! I have been trying to get those few days back since I left and Harshitt..."

"Oh what has the darling Harshitt said, I am sure he has been saying anything to get a few more of those kisses!"

"Don't be ridiculous Drew."

"I am not being ridiculous is it too much to ask for my boyfriend to be here even just two days of the week?!"

"My job isn't scheduled like that, I am working extra to save up and it's unfair that you're making me feel so guilty about it."

"Look Teddy people are telling me the reason you're away is because you have another boyfriend in another state or something. They say other flight attendants don't stay away that long and there is something you are hiding from me."

"Is that what you really think?" He said sadly.

"I don't know." I replied truthfully.

"Well then." He cleared his throat. "I shouldn't keep you any longer, I have another lover to get back to and he is worth more than the money I am making and saving, worth more than my job, worth more than you or I. I best not keep him waiting bye Andrew, I hope you find what you're looking for in Gray."

The line cut off and the disconnected tone rang in my ear for a full five minutes before I realised what had gone down. I had accused him of cheating and he had ended it, with no denial or screaming match. He just agreed with me, somewhat derisively but agreed with me and ended it just like that?

It was over.