Chapter One

“Drew! Stop staring at them dude and stop staring at everyone else too, that bear over there is going to pummel you he doesn’t know you haven’t been to a gay bar before!” Max yelled in my ear.

“I am not staring at them and if that bear doesn’t want people looking at him then why is he dressed head to foot in leather that is three sizes too small for him?!” I snapped.

“Look Billy and Zak aren’t gonna appreciate you gawking at them and hell I am not sure he appreciated you interrupting him in the first place so just come on and dance will you?” Max sighed.

“You invited me remember, trying to annoy Billy but now you’re left with me so deal.” I shuffled around.

I had come to this bar to see what it was like, Billy had suggested I go to a gay bar to meet someone so I had cornered Max during training and asked him if I could tag along. I know it sounds stupid but I have never been surrounded by gay people before, my brother Calvin and I grew up in Minnesota and lived a pretty sheltered lifestyle.

Our parents are Mormons and we lived in a small town where everyone knew each other. It was incredibly boring and because of that Calvin and I began cheerleading for a laugh. We are really close and do everything together, people have often assumed the worst but our parents stamped those thoughts out of their heads and they all eventually shut up.

As soon as we could Calvin and I left Minnesota for California, we planned on going to college but then this opportunity came up. Cheering for one of the biggest football teams in the US was not something we would willingly turn down so we signed up.

As we met new people and they got used to the way we are with each other we had to take over the role of our parents and remind them that we were just brothers. I couldn’t understand the minds of some people, brother’s wrestle, fight, hug, laugh, cry just like anyone else so why is it that we are the ones accused of screwing each other?

Anyway as luck would have it about a quarter of the football team was gay and my coach Billy Sylar was dating the star player Zak King. At first they both believed me to be straight but I am bisexual, without an ounce of experience or knowledge so I used them to my advantage.

My teasing nature allowed me to get away with asking Billy the most personal of questions by turning it into a joke. After a while however he knew I was no longer joking and that I was genuinely curious and he told me the only way to meet someone was to put myself out there.

Easier said than done, I was literally terrified that my smart ass remarks would get the living shit kicked out of me. How did they know if people were gay or not? At first I didn’t want to sit about in a gay bar all day and night waiting for that person to come into my life, but when Billy mentioned that they were all going out I had to get myself an invite.

They were all going on a triple date so I didn’t want to interrupt the whole evening so I squared it with Max so that I could join them at the Abbey. It was the best gay bar in Los Angeles and I was sure that I would at least be able to look at guys freely without upsetting anyone.