CHAPTER 46

I CAN'T TAKE this silence. It was so quiet. My whole body is numb and I can't feel anything. Ramdam ko ang unti-unting paggising ng kamalayan ko ngunit hindi ko magawang maimulat ang aking mga mata, hindi ko rin maigalaw ang anumang parte ng aking katawan. I can't feel my own body. Ang alam ko lamang ay nakadantay ako sa isang malambot na higaan.

Pagkatapos ng mahigit isang minuto ay tuluyan nang bumalik ang pandama ko. Hindi ko maigalaw ang aking katawan o maimulat man lang ang aking mga mata ngunit mas naging malinaw sa akin ang kalagayan ko ngayon. It's not a lie to say that I'm alive. To be honest, I was scared, I was scared that I wouldn't have anything by going back in this world, not even this life of mine. But my body held onto life, I am extremely thankful to her for this.

However, when I think about the life that I'm--- was bearing, I can't help but feel bitter. I know I don't bear him or her anymore. There's just no way that my child could have survived that foul explosion. Hindi ko alam kung kailan ko iyon matatanggap pero hinihiling ko na sana patawarin ako ng anak ko dahil hindi ko siya nagawang protektahan. It was twice.

I already lost them two times.

Never again, I promise.

Narinig ko ang mahinang tunog ng pagbukas ng pinto. Even though I badly want to open my eyes to see whoever that is and know my current situation, I can't. My body refuse to move. Calm down, Loraine. I tried to focus on moving my fingers first. Slowly but surely. Even just a bit.

I didn't know if I succeeded but I felt something warm touching my hands. I realized that it is also a hand, but a lot smaller compared to mine. A kid? I don't know but the child's touch made my heart ache and beat faster. I want to hold on to this tiny little warmth, but after a few seconds, the warmth is gone, and I fell asleep.

"HER VITAL signs have improved so much. I can't believe this." A middle-aged man's voice lingered in my ears. His voice sounded native with pure British accent.

"She might wake up soon! I'm thrilled to finally meet her!" Another voice follows. Just that this time, it was a woman's voice.

Pinakiramdaman ko ang aking sarili. I tried moving my fingers and felt nothing. After a few tries, I can finally felt the sheet and the soft fabric against my hands. My sense of touch finally coming back and the numbness fading away. The next thing I tried was to open my eyes. My vision was blurry and everything I saw was white, slowly turning back to normal. Suddenly, a hand flew right above my head and waved in front of me. When I realized that I'm in a room of what I think is a hospital, I turned to the people who were beside my bed.

My eyes focused on the two persons I saw. A middle-aged doctor and a woman in her twenties, probably the same age as I am. They both have a pair of deep ocean eyes, which highlights their relation. A father and a daughter. I tried assessing the situation I'm in, still failed nonetheless. I couldn't fathom the possibilities of me ending up in a room like this, with two strangers. I was actually expecting my family, or Khalil to be there when I wake up, unfortunately, to my disappointment.

"W----ho a....re--" I coughed immediately when I felt the dryness of my throat. My voice ended very hoarse. I must have been asleep for a couple days. Yet, I have never expected to be alive after what I've been through.

"Dally! Fetch some water, quick!" After getting a piece of the old man, the woman flinched and ran out almost immediately. The doctor tended to me. He did a couple of examinations like checking my eyes, my breathing pattern and my reflexes.

"Do you remember anything before you passed out?" He asked. I looked down, trying to remember what I can.

"I was inside the plane, then I was flung off. Someone---a guy from the crew pushed me. Then the plane exploded before my eyes. I was hit by a lot of shards. It was so painful then, I shoot down deep the waters." Maiksing kwento ko. He looked at me in the eye, as if he's waiting for me to say more.