thirty eight

warnings: brief mention of parental ill-health

𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚛𝚝𝚢 𝚎𝚒𝚐𝚑𝚝

little johnny whitley

.

.

Abby and Spencer focused their attention on Daniel and Tyler, whilst JJ focused her attention on Ashley. The silence in the room was suffocating and the stillness from Hotch's end of the phone just tightened the noose. They had already found something.

"Laurens. We're coming up."

"Mr Whitley-" Abby started quietly, she felt wrong for shattering the silence - it felt almost disrespectful; they were about to ruin the lives of this family even further (if that was even possible). A family that just yesterday was like any other.

"Please. Please." Daniel begged. "Please don't take my sons away from me."

His sobs tightened around the agent's chests. But...his youngest son was a murderer.

"I did it! It was me! I killed her, I - I did it all. Please! He's 9, he's only 9..."

Daniel's arms strained around Tyler's chest, the older boy's face was glowing with tears that were highlighted by the bright midday sun. He didn't want his dad to let go just as much his dad wanted to hold on to him, forever.

Abby, Spencer and JJ all shared brief sympathetic glances. The two blondes nodded at each other. Abby hoped that there was some womanly instinct that told JJ that Abby had since changed her mind and she no longer wanted to be in charge of the children.

"Johnny..." JJ whispered softly. Abby released a silent breath of relief at her friend's movements. "Can you come with me please."

Johnny was, of course, too young to understand JJ's tone of voice, he was too young to understand the situation but he was old enough to shoot his mother to death. But he didn't move. Instead, the young boy, just shy of 10 years old, looked blankly back at JJ.

"Johnny." JJ said authoritatively, like a mother warning her child.

"He doesn't understand-" Daniel stuck his arm out towards Johnny, but he never actually moved to protect his youngest son.

Tyler pushed himself out his dad's hold and ran to Abby.

"He understood enough to kill mom!"

Spencer looked down sadly, out of respect for Aria. But for Abby and JJ, his words hurt. It hurt them to watch his bottom lip begin to tremble and his chest begin to rise up and down quickly. And then, when Tyler wrapped his arms securely around Abby's waist, it killed her. She ran her hand over his head softly, trying to offer him so comfort but she knew it was a futile attempt at reassurance; she wasn't his mom.