epilogue

jk you thought I'd leave you without an epilogue??? It's me, be so fr

𝚎𝚙𝚒𝚕𝚘𝚐𝚞𝚎

.

.

five years later

"Miss Abigail?"

Abby looked up from her desk at the sound of her name. Her eyes softened and a kind, gentle smile lit up her face. 

"Yes, sweetheart?"

"I'm scared about summer break."

Abby's smile turned into a sympathetic frown. "Why are you scared?"

The six year old girl in front of her just shrugged, her lips turned down into a sad pout and her little eyebrows furrowed delicately. 

"Have you ever been scared?"

Abby laughed. "Oh, so many times. But do you know what I've always done when I've been scared?" The little girl shook her head. "I've told myself all of the brave things that I have already been through and I stop and I look around." She did just that, very overdramatically, which successfully bought out a little giggle from the six year old. "And I tell myself, 'you know what? You're still here. And that's good enough.' So, do you feel like telling me what you're scared of?"

"I like school. It feels weird. Not having school."

"It does, doesn't it. But it's a good weird, it's a good scary too."

"Good scary? That doesn't make sense." The little girl giggled, Abby giggled too. 

"Sometimes being scared is good. It means we're about to do something very brave. I was good scared when I started here, when I got the job, my first day; but I wouldn't change it for the world."

"I get to play with my mommy every day. She said we could go to the beach!"

Abby laughed. She loved how easy it was for her children to forget their worries; the smallest thing would worry them but then the smallest thing would take that away. 

"Wow! The beach!" She was interrupted by the sound of the school bell. "Okay everyone, listening ears on. Wonderful. Let's make sure all our chairs are tucked neatly under our desks and then let's walk out quietly."

Abby waved goodbye to the last of the children, "Have a lovely summer." She said for what felt like the thousandth time, but she didn't mind.

After she had tidied her classroom and picked up after the kids (she didn't do a lot, she knew she'd be redecorating when they came back after summer break), she picked up Spencer's old satchel from under her desk.