Generous to Jealous

"I didn't knew, when you promised to take me out, you meant this.." Shanvi smiled teasingly at the person in front of her, little did she know that her teasing would only make him feel worse. Precisely, he was guilty for the first time in his life. Being guilty was an anonymous feeling for him, one he had never experienced in his life despite committing the most heinous crimes against humanity.

"Hafid..." her continual efforts to cheer him up were futile. He wasn't saying anything to her, which made her heart clench in pain. The emotional pain seemed to exceed the physical misery, as his silence made her heart throb even more.

"Say something, please." Her voice almost broke and her eyes glistened, at the moment they heard the knock on the door.

"Come in," he ordered, completely ignoring the distressed young woman in front of him, who was sitting on a bed shrouded in white linens.

A forty-something man entered the room capped in a white coat with a stethoscope around his neck. Her heart began to beat rapidly as he walked, his highly polished black shoes creating a tap sound with each step. Without even realising it, she grabbed Hafid's hand and squeezed it tightly, suggesting to him that she didn't want him to leave as if her life relied on him.

"Good morning, Mr. Ali," he greeted extending his hand while flashing the warmest smile.

"I'm sure you're aware of the situation, so please proceed with her examination without further delay." While the doctor wasn't too bothered by his actions because he was aware of it, Hafid's chilly demeanour sent chills down her spine.

Nodding his head, he smiled and retracted his hand before settling down on the stool next to Shanvi.

"So Shanvi, have you had your breakfast?" To make her feel more at ease, the doctor began with some casual conversation while examining her scar with a torchlight.

"Yes, Dr...." In uncertainty, she screwed her brows together.

"Doctor Faizal," he stated switching off the torch, understanding her uncertainty, at which Shanvi smiled, earning a blank expression from Hafid.

"You can call me Fazz anyways," he chuckled winking at her, as he opened the closet containing injectable vials and syringes.

When her gaze was drawn to what was within the cabinet, the colour of her face vanished completely. Her grip on the hand she was gripping all the way tightened.
She sent a puppy-eyed glance towards Hafid in the hopes that he would intervene.

Tenderly squeezing her hand he reassured her that everything would be well, but it didn't work for her.

As Faizal approached her, she crawled away swallowing nervously. Fear got the best of her and she failed to notice she was getting close to the edge.

Her constricted lungs refused to draw breath, when she lost the bed mattress beneath her trembling hands losing her balance, exposing them in midair. The roar of her own blood could be heard in her ears, while her body felt taut and jelly-like. Sealing her eyes she got prepared to feel the stone floor when she suddenly felt a strong form supporting her back and blocking her from falling. Without turning around, she recognised HIM.

How could she not recognize the sound of HIS heartbeat that she could identify even if blindfolded!

She ventured to open her eyes to find herself still on the bed that she had imagined had vanished just moments before.

"It won't take long, dear, only a few seconds." Faizal made an effort to soothe her with calming words. When she saw the doctor turn the bottle and syringe upside down, pulling the dose into the syringe she merely buried her face in the chest of her savior, clutching his collar with perspirant fists.