Chapter 27

You jolt awake to the sound of the front door slamming shut, along with Kahlan calling out that she's home.

You sit up right as 049 looks behind him, finally looking away from the TV. "Why, welcome back." He says before looking back at the TV.

She smiles. "It must've been a while since you we're able to watch TV, huh?" She mentions, setting something on the counter.

His fingers furl in a little bit, seeming to flinch at nothing before speaking in the same tone. You notice this. "Yes. It has." He says.

Kahlan hums. "Well I'm going out again. Just had to stop by and drop off some things. See ya later!" She says before leaving again.

You watch her leave, before looking at 049. He seem distracted. The TV didn't seem to interest him anymore. "You okay?" You ask.

He flinches again at your words, looking at you. "Oh, I'm quite alright." He looks away. "However... I cannot shake off the feeling that something terrible just happened..." He says in a quiet tone.

"Something terrible? What makes you say that?" You ask with one of your eyebrows raised.

He stays silent for a while, before looking at you again. "I--"

He was suddenly cut off by the front door slamming open again and shutting. You both look at the front door in alarmed confusion, to see Kahlan breathing heavily, eyes wide, and unable to keep her balance.

She fell to the ground by the time you stand up off the couch. "Kahlan!!" You shout as you rush to her side, kneeling down.

She's still awake. You try to calm her down as 049 kneels down next to you. Eventually, she calms down enough to speak. "Mark... He was shot in the head in the middle of the street."

Your eyes widen. "What??"

She looks at you, her expression saying everything. "Mark's dead. Someone killed him."

You stutter, not being able to respond.

She stands up, leaving you on the ground. "I... I need to be alone." She says before walking towards her room.

You sat down, looking at your hands again.

It's not the fact that you're hurt by his death. You didn't know him all that well. But it's just the mere fact that you saw him just yesterday, and now he's gone. Erased from the world, just like that.

Before you could stare on, hands grab yours. You blink, getting out of your thoughts, before looking up to see 049 holding your hands. He was staring at them too.

It surprisingly helps you calm down, believe it or not. You've seen death before. Just hearing about it doesn't seem so bad now. Maybe you're insane, but it doesn't look like he's upset, nor suprised. At least you wouldn't be the only one then.

Maybe it's just being selfish.

However, you continue to stare at him, now feeling awkward. "Uhm..." You eventually say.

"Oh! My apologies." His hands slips away from yours. "Are you alright now?"

You slowly stand up. "Yeah... The news just caught my by suprise." You say, trying to distract yourself by looking around.

"I see. It was quiet unfortunate, but I suspected as much to happen." He says.

"You did??" You say, looking at him, a questioning tone erupting from your voice.

"Last night, I felt as though someone else had entered the town, you see. It felt as though they had the pestilence... but it felt... wrong?" He says, seeming to question himself too.

"Wrong? What do you mean 'wrong'?" You ask, not really liking the topic.

"It didn't feel right. Almost as though it was... muffled. Hiding behind a... mask of some sorts. And only now did it feel like they actually were plagued by the pestilence. I only noticed it while we we're watching that... TV just a few moments ago." He says, starting to pace half way through.

Then it just clicks in your head.

That's why he suddenly seemed distracted from the TV. That's the exact moment it happened. The exact moment he...

You quickly shake your head.

"Ah!" He suddenly blurts out, grabbing your attention again. "It's as though there was only an hint of the pestilence within them, only now sprouting up."

"So... you're saying that when they killed Mark, the pestilence grew stronger?" You ask.

"In some way, yes." 

You hum, feeling calmer for an odd reason. However, before you could speak again, knocks came from the front door. The both of you turn towards the door, you moving more franticly than he did. "Kahlan? Are you there?" A female voice came from the other side.

Who's that...?

End of Chapter 27

Sorry for the long wait lol. I've been procrastinating alot about writing recently, but I'm trying to get back into the flow of things.