Chapter 30

You twitch awake when you hear the front door open and close, along with Kahlan announcing that she's home.

You take a moment to recall what happened. You must've fallen asleep.

You look to your left.

...Along with someone else.

He's sound asleep. Breathing in and out quietly, completely relaxed as if earlier events never bothered him. He's hugging your arm, too.

You smile slightly, watching his relaxed form as he slowly breathes in and out again.

Though, the ugre to get up and stretch hits you pretty hard. But you don't want to move.

However, with the sound of the front door opening and Kahlan announcing that she's home, you try to slowly move your arm out of his grasp without waking him, succeeding and standing up before there's a gental knock at the door before it slowly opens. "Y/n? Doc?" She whispers.

"Yeah?" You whisper back, walking closer to the door.

049 groans a little before slowly sitting up. He grabs his head and looks between you two, blinking several times. "Hmm? Oh. Greetings, Kahlan." He says in a deeper voice than normal.

You stare at him with a dumb look on your face when you hear his voice. "This is important. Listen up." Kahlan says, looking between the two of you.

You bring your attention back to her when she says this with a puzzled look on your face.

Kahlan takes a breath in before she speaks in a more serious tone. "The sheriff is coming to my house today."

It takes a small second for your brain to process her words before confusion riddels your face. "What?? Here? Why?" You ask.

"I don't know. But I can only guess it's because of your friend there." She motions towards 049. "There's no one that dresses like him. He thinks you're suspicious." She stop for a second before she leans on the doorframe with a sigh, noticing her attitude. "Sorry. I'm just... overwhelmed."

You don't respond, instead just looking at 049.

He stares at Kahlan with a blank stare before standing up straight, raising one of his hands to reach under his mask. He rubbed his eye as he spoke, his voice slightly clearer, "It's quite alright. These times must be tough of you. Let us know if we can do anything for you." He reassures, removing his hands.

You realise you were staring at him that entire time.

You turn your head back to Kahlan. "Yeah. What he said." You smile.

She slowly smiles back. "Thanks, guys..." She took a deep breath in and out. "Alright. He's gonna be here today in about an hour. Just act normal. We don't want to be more of a target for him than we already are."

Kahlan starts leaving the room. "Wait, target?" You say as you quickly follow her, 049 right behind you. "What do you mean?"

You all end up in the living room. "He's trying to find a reason for us to be guilty of..." She takes a breath in and out. "Mark."

You stay silent.

To be guilty of killing him? Why? What for?

049 responds before you're able to. "But why would he do such a thing?" He asks in his usual professional tone.

She sighs. "I don't know." She takes a shakey breath in. "I... really don't know. But... we need to just act normal." She readjusts herself, turning her face blank once more.

A small second goes by before there's a quick knock on the front door, followed by it opening, revealing the Sheriff with a smirk on his face. "Why, hello, you three." He steps inside, completely uninvited.

You could tell by Kahlan's expression that what he did was extremely uncalled for. She mutters something you heard of cursing at him, before she says louder. "Hi." Annoyed tone. "Do you always just walk into people's houses uninvited?"

"Of course. This is my town, after all." He flashes a smile while everyone else in the room narrows their eyes, including you.

"So... what exactly are you in need of?" 049 asks politely and hesitantly.

Now that you notice it... he's a little fidgety.

The Sheriff's smile stayed the same. "I just wanted to catch up with some old friends! Is that a problem?"

"Of course not." Kahlan bearly mutters through her teeth.

"Good." He walks over and sits down on the couch.

A moment of silence goes by. Though, another thing you noticed is that 049 is breathing heavier than he normally does. No one else seems to notice.

The sheriff grabs the remote for the TV and turns it on.

"So what do you want?" Kahlan says after a while, seeming as nothing is happening.

He hesitates before he sighs. "Looking for the murderer." He flips the channel.

You notice your throat is a little scratchy. You walk over to the kitchen and grab a cup as they continue to talk.

"Looking for the murderer." She repeats in a tone that she doesn't believe him one bit. "Really."

"Of course. What else does it look like I'm doing?" He smiles at her.

"Barging into my home and watching my TV."

You fill the cup up with water and drink it, noticing 049 walking towards you and stopping by your side as you both continue watching what's happening.

He rolls his eyes. "C'mon, Kahlan. Don't be like that." He stands up.

"What's the reason for you being here if you know none of us did it?" She spits out through her teeth.

He walks closer to her before pulling her waist towards him. Suprised by the action, she shoves him away. "The hell??" She yells.

Oh boy. Here we go.

Before you could act, 049 grabs your arm. You look towards him as he whispers something to you. "He's infected."

Those two words take a second to register in your head. A fight is starting to break out over there. The sheriff is DEFINITELY someone you can't trust. He'll only get in the way if you guys wanted to find who actually murdered Mark.

...But what would Kahlan think...?

But he'll kill her. There's no choice.

"Go." You tell him, slightly pushing him.

In an instant, he rushes over to the both of them.

The sheriff pushed her off him by the time 049 rushed over. And in an instant,

he touched his neck, and he fell to the ground shortly after.

End of Chapter 30