chapter 3

"Mrs. and Mrs. Orgasm." The doctor greeted them as they stepped into the exam room. Maya felt her jaw go slack and her face go hot.

"Ehm, what?" She mumbled.

"Hey that's Dr. and Lieutenant Orgasm to you." Carina responded gleefully and Maya didn't know which part of this situation to tackle first.

Orgasm?

Lieutenant?

Orgsam?

Doctor?

"That's why you checked my pupils!" Maya exclaimed.

"What?" Carina laughed.

"You're a doctor, when you checked my eyes I-"

"Oh, sorry, I forgot to tell you that, bambina. I didn't mean to confuse you."

"That's okay."

"Your wife is a leading researcher in womens orgasms Maya, how about that?" The doctor looked pleased, but Maya was mortified. Was that something she told people?

"I'm an OB/Gyn, bambina. Don't mind her." She spoke, sending a harsh glance in the direction of the neurosurgeon. She held her hands up in defence.

"When I was 18 I would love nothing more than knowing my wife specialises in orgasms."

Maya felt her face get even hotter and she contemplated just leaving the room.

"Well, not everyone does, and she's not 18 she's 38, Amelia. She's just, can you find out what's wrong with her?" Maya didn't know Carina well, but she could tell that she was annoyed with her friend. It made her kind of uneasy, she didn't like being around annoyed people.

"Ehm, yeah. Sure thing, DeLuca." Amelia smiled. "Just give me a sec." She walked out the room.

"I'm sorry about her, she's the sweetest, but also severely lacking a filter."

"It's okay." Maya said. "I didn't mind." She tilted her head at Maya, looking a little curious.

"Ehm, okay. You sure?"

"Absolutely, don't hold back your grown up talk on account." Maya tried to joke but Carina frowned, just then Amelia popped back into the room.

"Okay." She breathed, clasping her hands together. "Ready for some tests?" Maya nodded hesitantly and followed the doctor out the door, giving Carina a nervous smile as she went.

⎯⎯⎯

"Nothing?" Carina asked for the third time and Maya wanted to rip her hair out. She understood the Italian was frustrated, but having the neurosurgeon explain one more time that, yes they'd run all the tests under the moon and no, she didn't get any of the data wrong, there was absolutely nothing wrong with Maya, made her skin crawl.

"So I can run?" She asked, interrupting their conversation.

"Run?" Amelia asked, "Ehm, yeah sure sporty spice, go for it."

"No." Carina argued, "not until we find out what's wrong."

"Carina there is nothing physically wrong with her, I'm her doctor and I say she can run if she wants."

"Well I'm her wife and I say no." Maya pouted at that and Carina saw it and gently grabbed her face. "Bambina-" She began but Maya shook her head so violently Carina was forced to let go.

"Why don't you want me to run?"

"It's not that I don't want you to run, I'm just worried about you, I don't want you to get hurt."