chapter 13

cw: miscarriage

The first few months of being alone was hard for Maya, she stayed on Vic's couch until she got to know Andy, then she moved into her guest room. They were best friends, and Andy told Maya a lot about her life before Carina. About how she was a player and a "loveable bitch" as Andy eloquently put it. Maya knew now that it was all her fathers behaviour, but she didn't tell Andy that. She just let her say that Carina changed her for the better, but that Maya was right not to get involved with her kid.

She got a job at the local high school as a track coach. It didn't pay much, but it was enough for her share of the rent and the little food she ate. That was another good thing about Andy, she didn't seem to notice at all whether or not Maya ate or how often she ran. Maya liked it that way.

She spent a lot of time on the tracks thinking about how her father would coach her and then doing the opposite. It seemed like most of the students really responded well to her teachings and Maya enjoyed it.

"You got kids, Bishop?" The football coach came to stand behind her as she proudly watched her kids run around the track.

"No. Not for me." She smiled politely back. Mr. Azumah was nice, but Maya often felt like he was a little too flirty with her.

"Oh, so you're single then?" He asked, nudging her shoulder with his.

"I guess." She answered shortly, technically she was still married to Carina. "Brianna, try to push off your feet more this round, see if you feel a difference." She smiled as one of the faster girls ran by, but slowed down right in front of them.

"Can I go get some water first?" She asked as she stopped and held her stomach.

"Of course. I'll be right there." She turned to her colleague and smiled apologetically. "I should go help her." She said, sensing that something was wrong.

"Yeah, sure. See you around." He winked and walked off. Maya shook her head and turned back to Brianna who was now squatting, holding her hands at her stomach in pain.

"Wow. Okay hey, hey." Maya ran over, slightly panicking. She wasn't good with this stuff. Empathy. She thought. Brianna grabbed at her though so Maya went to take her in her arms. "You're okay. Are you on your period?" Maya asked as she saw a little blood smeared on her thigh.

"No, I oh coach I'm bleeding." Maya looked down again and there was a lot of blood. She had read about this, when she had researched Carina's pregnancy.

"Is there any way you can be having a miscarriage?" Maya asked, scrambling to fish her phone out of her pocket while still holding on to the girl.

"I guess. I don't know, Ms. Bishop. help."

"I'm calling the ambulance now. You're going to be fine."

⎯⎯⎯

"16 year old female, miscarried during track practice." Carina nodded, listening to the EMT spewing off facts.

"Where's Ms. Bishop?" The girl cried, "she was right here." Carina stiffened, then shook her head. There were lots of people with that last name.

"I'm here Bri. Sorry I was calling your dad. He said he's out of town but your step mom can come?" Carina had her back to the voice but there was not a doubt in her mind who it belonged to.

"Okay, yeah can you stay here until she does?"

Carina turned around then and met Maya's eyes. She was skinny. Was her first thought. The running tights and tank top doing almost nothing to hide the weight she'd lost. She also looked a little scared so Carina smiled softly. She might have some words for Maya but her 16 year old patient came first, and if she wanted Maya here. Maya was going to be here.