chapter 17

Maya was a quick study indeed and as it turned out, she loved sex as much as the old Maya did, which luckily was as much as Carina did. They still hadn't done anything crazy, but Carina could tell that Maya was gaining confidence each time. It made her happy, and it made Maya happy, life was great.

Maya also seemed way more confident in the way she carried herself outside the bedroom. She had a job she really liked, she was eating better, she was going to therapy, and she was acting more mature all around. Carina watched it all with pride.

"Ciao, bambina. Good run?"

"Fantastic. Whatcha eating?" Maya asked as she popped her head in front of Carina from the back of the couch.

"Crackers with cheese."

"Can I have one?" Maya asked and opened her mouth. Carina laughed and fed it to her. She opened her mouth but Maya cut her off.

"I know, stealing food from our babies." She yelled as she walked in the shower. Carina smiled as she wondered if Maya realised what she'd just said.

All of a sudden a warmth flooded her thighs and Carina looked down to see her water had broken. She smiled, fucking finally. She calmly walked into the bathroom where Maya was and undressed.

"Ehm, I'm in here?" Maya said, her tone playful but curious.

"I know, I just have to rinse off quickly. My water broke."

"Your what?"

"My water, it broke."

"They're coming?"

"Well probably not for a little while, I haven't even had a co-" A sharp pain hit her abdomen and she grabbed Maya's shoulders. It didn't last very long, and Maya was pale as a ghost. She laughed a little. "Okay, so I've had one contraction and I'd like to rinse off before I go to the hospital."

"Can I come?" Maya asked, she seemed worried more than anything and Carina was reminded of the last time Maya joined her at the hospital. She had fainted, the time after that she'd had a panic attack, but they were completely different then than they were now.

"If you want. You don't have to."

"I want to. Now just, stand there and let me wash you." Carina laughed loudly.

⎯⎯⎯

"So what are you going to call them?" Maya asked as she got settled in the hospital bed. It was clear that she was trying to get Carina to focus on something besides the pain, but that was not a comfortable conversation for her right now. She hadn't wanted to think about that, because in her head it was something that Maya and her should decide together.

"I don't know yet, I figured I'd wait until I see them and then decide." She said, not a complete lie.

"Oh okay. Wow, we're different kinds of people." Maya joked and Carina laughed.

"That we are, my love." She knew that under normal circumstances, Maya would have insisted they had the name picked out at least five months before the due date.

"Are you doing okay? Do you need anything?"

"I'm fine Maya. I could use a hug though." Maya immediately reached over and hugged her. "Can you..?" She was a little afraid to ask.

"Can I?"

"I have this research." Carina started and Maya nodded. "Ehm, I would like to try it for myself."

"Okay?" Maya seemed confused, Carina couldn't blame her.

"Is it okay if I touch myself?" She spit out and halfway expected Maya to be on the other side of the room or out the door, but instead Maya stroked her cheek.