chapter 11

Carina was asleep in their bed and Maya was tossing and turning. At one point she realised that her constant moving caused Carina to stir, and so she got out of bed. She wandered around the apartment for a little while before taking a seat in front of their computer. She started clicking on files, not really looking for anything in particular, just curious to know more about her life.

She found a folder they had called home movies and clicked on that. She pressed play on the first one.

"See, vacation isn't all bad, bambina." Carina's cheery voice said from behind the camera. She was filming Maya standing on top of a dusty orange mountain, it looked like they were in the desert somewhere.

"Yeah, this is better than the pool." Maya replied wistfully and Carina groaned.

"We might never agree on that." Carina laughed. "Next time we'll find somewhere we'll both enjoy."

"You want to do this again?"

"Of course, Maya."

"Put that away, I wanna kiss you." The video shut off, cutting off Carina's loud laugh. Maya smiled, she'd seemed happy in that video. She clicked on the next one.

Carina was dancing in the kitchen, Maya seemed to be filming from around a corner. Maya quietly placed the camera down and snuck up behind Carina. Hugging her from behind.

"You scared me, bella." Carina laughed.

"Sorry."

"You smell like smoke."

"Sorry."

"Eugh, no more sorries."

"Sorry." Maya said with a laugh and Carina playfully pushed her away.

"Stop saying sorry or else I won't join you in the shower." Maya mimicked zipping her lips shut and started walking in the direction of their bathroom.

"Wait." Carina held her hand out for Maya. "Dance with me first."

Maya ran and turned the camera off.

Maya was beaming. She thought she was a completely different person than the one Carina knew, but she very much recognised the dynamic in these clips. She clicked on the next one. A voice Maya didn't recognise was pointing the camera at them.

"What just happened?" Andy yelled more than she asked.

"We just got engaged." Carina smiled, and Maya held on to her jacked tightly, as if she was afraid she would slip away again.

Andy turned her phone to herself, "yeah and we got to see the whole thing, very romantic. Send them happy wishes." Andy waved at the phone. "Oh and this one is doing good." She pointed the camera at Ben.

"Thanks for the balls, hilarious." He smiled.

"Byeeee."

She made a mental note to ask Carina about the proposal. The people around them seemed overjoyed, but Maya and Carina were kind of just, subdued. Maya looked like she was crying and wouldn't let go. Carina looked red in the face and tired.

"I didn't know you could dance like that, bambina." Maya was in her wedding dress in the bathroom at the restaurant. She had gone to touch up her makeup and of course Carina had followed suit, probably in the hopes that they would make out. Maya laughed and shook her head.

"Like what?"

"All sexy, you have good rhythm."

"You thought I didn't have rhythm?" Maya pouted and Carina tsked. She came up behind Maya and filmed them both in the mirror. Maya leaned back into the touch and Carina kissed the top of her head.