chapter 12

"We are going to the hospital to see your doctor now right, for the baby?" Carina laughed.

"Yes Maya, you know I didn't mean to trick you last time, right? It was a misunderstanding. But I promise."

"Okay. Just making sure."

"You're a cutie, Maya."

"Stop it." Maya moaned, playfully.

"You are."

"You're cute too, Carina." Maya said softly and Cariina had just parked the car so she leant over the centre console to give her a kiss.

"See, hospital." She gestured dramatically when they entered. Carina grabbed Maya's hand and walked her to the maternity ward. She checked herself in then sent a text to Jo, asking her to come to their room. Maya stayed silently in the corner of the room.

"Do you want to come closer?" Carina asked and held her hand out. Maya shook her head no and Carina nodded. "Okay, ehm, can I tell Dr. Wilson about your memory thing? I don't want her to think we are fighting."

"She's your friend?" Carina shrugged.

"Kind of. But more importantly I'm her teacher so I'd like to be professional."

"You're going to let a student treat you?"

"There's nothing to treat, bambina. It's a baby. She will do check ups and this way, I can monitor everything. Besides, I taught her everything she knows, so she's very good."

"It's true, I am. Hi Maya." Jo laughed as she came into the room through the open door.

"Oh, sorry." Maya blushed, but Wilson waved her off.

"So, finally pregnant, huh? Congratulations, Carina."

"Thank you."

"You can come over here Maya I don't bite." Jo said softly, and Maya just shook her head and crossed her arms, making herself look impossibly small. Carina knew she had been nervous about this, but she had also been excited and now she just looked mortified.

"Alright, I'm going to start. Can you pull your shirt up to your chest? This will be a little cold." Carina chuckled.

"I know, Dr. Wilson."

"I know you know, but proper bedside manner is always important."

"Fine, fine. Maya, you sure you want to stay there, it's time to look at the ultrasound." Carina said, knowing that Maya had been excited for that part.

"I can't breathe."

"Wilson, we need a sec." Jo was out of the room before Carina could even finish the sentence. "Can you come closer, or do you want me to come to you?" Carina asked, and Maya took two tentative steps before she fainted. Carina hit the button behind her as she jumped out of bed, crouching next to Maya's head.

"Hey, Maya. Maya, wake up."

A slew of nurses came into the room along with Jo, they all seemed to take half a second to figure out what was going on and then jumped straight to work.

"She's breathing, but it's weak. Her pulse is weak too."

"She hasn't eaten all day." Carina said as they found her a gurney. "Ehm she said she ate yesterday, but I didn't actually see it and she often lies about it." She informed Jo in the elevator on the way down to the E.R.

"It's not your fault."

"I know. I just wish I could get her to eat."

"It's not your fault." Jo repeated.