chapter 14

"Ms. Bishop, isn't that Dr. DeLuca?" Brianna pointed at Carina who came walking towards them with a smile.

"Hi, Brianna. You did great." Carina held up her hand for a high five which Brianna enthusiastically returned.

Maya smiled and gave her a little wave. "I thought you said you wouldn't be able to make it."

"I told Jo about it and she covered the rest of my shift. They're all working to get us back together, I've tried to tell them we are friends but..." She shrugged her shoulders and Maya laughed.

Maya suddenly noticed a bunch of curious faces surrounding them, she smiled sheepishly at Carina. "This is my friend, Dr. DeLuca, she came to watch you run today."

"How do you know Brianna?" One of the girls asked.

"I just do." She replied with narrowed eyes.

"Fine, whatever." The girl backed off and laughed.

"Well then how do you know coach B?"

"I'm her friend." Carina laughed. "Like she just said."

"Do you have a husband?"

"Okay, guys, calm down. Go stretch or whatever, great run today. All of you."

"She's pregnant and has a ring, that's a fair question." Maya's gaze fell down to Carina's hand where she was indeed still wearing her wedding ring. Maya gaped.

"I used to have a wife. Guess I'm not ready to take the ring off just yet." Carina smiled warmly and the girls backed down. Maya guessed they thought the wife died, it certainly sounded like it. In some ways she supposed she had.

⎯⎯⎯

"Does it bother you?"

"What?"

"My ring." Carina asked, as they were on their way back from the track meeting. "You keep looking at it."

"I'm just curious as to why you're still wearing it. I mean we're getting a divorce."

Carina shrugged, because she was not about to find a lawyer, and it didn't seem like Maya was in any rush either.

"I guess I'm just not ready for a new relationship and this makes it so way less people try."

"Would it be cheating if I went out with someone?" Maya asked. Carina tried to swallow down her hurt pride.

"No, Maya. You can do whatever you want."

"But you don't want me to."

"This isn't about me, or what I want. You've made your intentions clear. Me still being in love with you should have no effect on your dating life."

"Okay." Maya breathed out a sigh of relief.

"Why?"

"Ehm a guy from work asked me to dinner. I don't know if it's a date but..."

"You said yes?"

"Yeah."

"To a dinner?" Carina almost laughed, but the look on Maya's face stopped her. "Sorry. I'm sure it will be nice. Just don't do anything you're not comfortable with. Men can be pushy."

"Women too, apparently." Maya said under her breath.

"Did i push you to have sex with me, Maya?" Carina felt more worried than angry, she had been so careful around sex.

"No." Maya admitted. "Of course not."

"Well, he might. And sleep with him if you want to, Maya." Carina swallowed hard, it was not easy to say these words out loud. "But please don't let him pressure you into anything."