Despondent

Tw: Death, car accidents

despondent

/dɪˈspɒnd(ə)nt/

adjective

adjective: despondent

• in low spirits from loss of hope or courage.

She had been sweet and smiley.

She had worn an old top, adorned with polka-dots and stars, similar to the ones in her eyes.

The eyes he wouldn't he able to see anymore.

She left, said goodbye and just left.

Peter remembers hearing her keys jingle as she grabbed them hurriedly and ran out the door.

She had been late for work, Peter wondered that if he had skipped breakfast so she didnt have to cook-- then just maybe she wouldn't have been late, maybe she would've had more time.

Maybe she wouldn't have met that driver.

Peter wasn't there when it happened, he couldn't imagine it.

All he could imagine was her happily entering the Uber, excited for work. Then suddenly the car swerved..

---

"Hello? Who's this?"

"Aunt May? What happened?"

"Y-you're kidding right? Haha..she just left for work..I just spoke to her"

"She was right here"

"Please tell me this is a prank she's all I have"

"This isn't real This isnt--"

---

Peter's hands were been numb, it wasn't real, 'this isn't real' was all he could think of.

He felt a gaping hole in his chest, as if his heart had been ripped out as soon as he heard the news.

But he couldn't bring himself to cry.

He remembered Uncle Ben, the look in his eyes when he died, he remembers holding the man in his arms while he wailed and wailed. It was the same thing all over again, someone left him again.(He doesn't feel sorry, he knew it was hard for her to be with him)

But he was numb to the feeling now. He just couldn't cry.

He remembers Uncle Ben's last words.

"With great power, comes great responsibility."

He shouldered the responsibility for Ben.

And he shudders remembering that he now has to shoulder it for May too.

He was on his way to the hospital, he didn't remember how he got there, he didn't remember getting in a car.

The ringing in his ears was too loud and he couldn't focus on anything but the feeling of dread in his chest.

His hands were so unbearably cold, he wonders if this is what May's body felt like after the accident, he wouldn't get to touch her again, to hug her again, so it doesn't matter.

He shuddered as he felt a single tear fall onto his shirt.

And then another.

And another.

And it all finally came pouring out like a river. Now, of all times, his body finally began to cry.

His eyes were wet with tears and his mouth was salty with snot, his throat hurt and itched from suppressing every single sob for as long as he could before finally letting it out.

And his body was wailing and howling and sobbing but his head felt empty.

He couldn't feel a single thing because he didn't want to believe it he just didn't want to believe it.

But he couldn't stop thinking about it.

Then he suddenly phased back to reality and noticed that there was a nurse walking him to his Aunt's Room. He really didn't remember getting out of the car. His legs walked his mindless soul into Aunt May's room.

And he saw her pale face laying on the bed, not even moving an inch.

And then he finally realized.

That Aunt May was dead.

She was dead, and now she'll always be dead.

And he couldn't do anything about it.

And then he froze.

And he fell to the floor.

And he cried. Harder than ever before.

The ringing in his ears blocked out his screams of frustration.

And he stayed that way for some time. It could've been seconds, minutes or hours.

But to Peter it felt like an eternity, because no matter how hard he tried he couldn't understand why.

Then he got up, and walked sloppily to the chair propped infront of his aunts bed.

He stared mindlessly at her, he didn't want to touch her now, he wanted to before but now the thought made him nauseous.

Because if he touched her he would feel her skin, cold as ice.

And he would have to understand once again, that she was gone.

'Everyone's gone now, what do I do?' He thought, he was angry, angry at the universe for taking everything away from him.

His mother, his father, his uncle, his aunt, Mr. Stark, his friends, his identity.

The universe gave him everything, then took it away to watch him squirm and howl with sadness, before making him joyful again.

And then mercilessly repeating the cycle.

Again and again and again.

Peter couldn't take this anymore. He was done. Anybody near him died a horrible death and left him with their sorrowful stories.

He didn't even get to hear May's last words.

And he only wished to hear her voice one last time.

But he can't, he can't listen to anybody's voice.

So he looked away, understanding that he was all alone, all alone in the whole world.

And he cried.