Death and the Sun

Tw: Depiction of death, slight description of a dead person's face, hypothermia

'Again,' Mj thought, as she stared stoically at the sea infront of her.

According to the reports from the higher ups, a young boy's body had been found below the highway's waters. So she got ready to do her job.

It wasn't until she saw the face of said boy, that she felt frustration bubble up in her head.

"Parker," she stated, coldly.

"Hey!" The boy exclaimed, his happy demeanor was unsuited for the current circumstances, his face was pale, as if he had been bathed in snow, his lips were blue, he had obviously experienced hypothermia before his untimely death.

Mj looked down at the boy, who was now slightly transparent, proof of his form as a ghost.

"This is the fourth time," She muttered, her eyebrows furrowed.

"I know," the boy stood up, and ruffled his hair, an awkward expression on his face as he reached out towards Mj.

Mj's black robes fluttered in the wind as she stepped away from Peter.

"How many times do I have to tell you to stop dying when it isn't your time?" She questioned, glaring at Peter with an expression of worry disguised as intolerance.

"I know--but I wanted to see you," Peter's expression turned sorrowful, and his smile hid distant longing.

"You'll see me when it's actually time for you to die. Do you understand how hard it is to conceal your momentary presence in the afterlife so the higher ups don't notice anything?" She broke, fists shaking as she yelled.

But her voice wavered when she felt cold, misty arms wrap themselves around her waist, and a ghosty head resting itself on her shoulder.

'I am the grim reaper, I cannot bear connections to a mortal, I cannot bear feelings for a mortal.

I cannot allow him to kill himself to see me.'

When Mj had seen the dead body in the water, tears had pricked her eyes and it had taken every ounce of strength in her body to not scream.

She hates to be the reason he hurts himself so much, she hates herself for looking forward to seeing him, when she has to see him like this.

"This is the last time," She shuddered as she felt her hands snaking around the boy's waist to return the hug.

"Alright," he replied, she felt him smile against her shoulder.

At the cold edge of the highway, the grim reaper stood, hugging the sun.

And she sent him back hesitantly, knowing rather well that this would not be the last time.