Chapter 10: The Pyramid

Abby Lee Miller walked into the studio with her usual air of confidence and control. She looked around the room at her dedicated dancers, their eager faces shining with anticipation for today's lesson. Abby knew that today wouldn't be an ordinary day at the studio.

"Alright, everyone!" she called out, clapping her hands together. "Time for pyramid!"

The dancers rushed to grab their routines, excited to see where they ranked on that piece of paper Abby had been carrying around all day.

As the dancers lined up in front of her, Abby scanned their faces, focusing on Chloe, Paige, and Brooke. She could see the tension in their shoulders and the worried looks in their eyes.

"And at the bottom of the pyramid," she announced in a dramatic pause, "we have Chloe, Paige, and Brooke."

Gasps filled the room as everyone stared at Abby in shock. The three girls could barely believe what they were hearing. Their eyes welled up with tears as they looked to their mothers for reassurance.

Before any words could be exchanged between the dancers and their mothers, Abby continued her explanation. "The reason why these three talented girls are at the bottom is not because of their dancing abilities. No," she paused, her gaze set firmly on Chloe, Paige, and Brooke's mothers. "It's because of their moms' horrible behavior when they think no one is listening."

All eyes turned to look accusingly at the three women who now wore expressions of shock and embarrassment.

"You were caught talking badly about Ethan behind everyone's back." Abby's voice sliced through the tense silence in the studio.

Brooke stared at her mom Kelly with wide eyes filled with betrayal and hurt. Tears streamed down her cheeks as she angrily yelled out: "How could you do that Mom?!"

Kelly was speechless for a moment before she managed to stammer out an apology, but Brooke was too hurt and upset to listen. All she could think of was how her own mother had betrayed her and the damage it had caused to her friendships and standing within the dance team.

Abby Lee Miller strode confidently across the studio floor, her voice carrying through the room as she gathered everyone's attention, "Alright, moms! Time to head upstairs to your viewing room." She gestured towards the designated area where the mothers sat and observed each class. The mothers exchanged curious glances but swiftly obliged.

Once they took their seats, Abby turned her attention to the young dancers who were waiting for her next instruction. She scanned their faces before locking her gaze on Chloe and Ethan.

"Chloe, Ethan, front and center, please," she said firmly. Their eyes widened in surprise as they hurriedly stepped forward.

In the corner of the room, Maddie and Brooke shared a look of sheer jealousy. They couldn't help but wonder why Chloe and Ethan were singled out. Was it for praise or criticism? They stayed silent, watching with bated breath.

As Christi sat among the other moms, she attempted to hide an involuntary smile from spreading across her face. At first glance, Ethan's skill seemed average at best, but Christi had seen his true potential during last week's rehearsals. Despite everything she had said about him earlier, she knew deep down that if Chloe had a duet with Ethan, victory would be a certainty.

Facing Chloe and Ethan squarely, Abby Lee Miller clapped her hands together sharply. "You two are going to perform a duet this week," she announced boldly. Gasps of surprise echoed from both dancers and viewers.

"But Abby…" Christi started to protest from above but was silenced by a stern look from Abby. "Okay," Christi relented quietly under her breath.

"We have a competition coming up," Abby Lee explained as she paced in front of Chloe and Ethan. "And I have high hopes that this duet will steal the show!" She clenched her fists with excitement as she laid out her vision for their performance.