Chapter 26: Unexpected Absences

The sun had just begun to rise as the members of the Abby Lee Miller Dance Company arrived for another day of practice. As they entered the studio, they all took notice of two significant absences – Abby and Ethan.

The group couldn't help but worry, considering the recent disturbing events. Only a few nights ago, Ethan's parents had shown up out of nowhere, and the devastating encounter had led to a severe panic attack for him. Maddie and Brooke were particularly concerned; they'd been there when it happened, witnessing him pass out and hit his head on a table before Abby rushed him to the hospital.

An uneasy silence filled the room as everyone exchanged concerned glances. They knew how crucial the next competition was, but without their coach and one of their best dancers, they feared that their chances of winning might be slipping away.

Just as the group was about to give in to despair, Gianna walked into the room with an air of determination. She immediately sensed something was wrong and didn't waste any time addressing it. "Alright, everyone," she said firmly. "I know you're all worried about Ethan and Abby being gone today, but we need to focus. Line up for pyramid."

As the dancers complied without hesitation, Gianna continued, "I spoke with Abby earlier this morning, and she gave me instructions for today's pyramid." She reached into her bag and pulled out a piece of paper with notes scrawled across it.

One by one, Gianna revealed each position on the pyramid based on what Abby had told her. The dancers listened intently and tried to hide their disappointment or relief at their placements. They all understood that this week was crucial for their performances.

After the pyramid unveiling, Gianna didn't waste any more time. "Let's get started with today's practice," she urged them, putting on some music to begin warming up. "We might not know what's happened to Ethan, but we can be happy that he should be coming in within the next few days."

Gianna motioned for Maddie to step away from the dance practice. The other dancers didn't seem to mind, as they continued practicing their steps with focused dedication. As they moved to a quieter corner, Gianna's eyes sparkled with excitement.

“Maddie, I have some news for you. Abby has entered you in another dance competition!” she exclaimed. Maddie knew that she was referring to her famous dance "Cry," which had always been a crowd favorite.

Maddie hesitated for a moment, knowing that Ethan might not be happy if she accepted the offer. She didn't want anything to come between her friendship with him, especially during his difficult time of recovery.

Gianna noticed Maddie's hesitation and quickly added, “Ethan was the one who recommended it to Abby. He really believes in you and thinks this is a great opportunity!”

Upon hearing this, Maddie's face lit up with surprise and joy. Any doubts she had vanished immediately. Ethan's support meant the world to her, and she could now confidently accept the offer. It will hurt her later when she finds out that he has no idea she will be doing two solos and her trust in Gianna will start to fade hard.

“Will Ethan come to watch me perform?” Maddie asked hopefully.

Gianna smiled reassuringly and said, “He wouldn't miss it for the world!”

Meanwhile, back at the hospital,

Abby paid a visit to Ethan. She broke the news that he wouldn't be participating in any upcoming dances as he needed all his energy for recovery. Though disappointed, Ethan understood the situation and knew it was for the best.

Ever an optimist, Abby shared more positive news with him: he'd be able to visit the dance company in just a few days!

With these turn of events in motion, both Maddie and Ethan looked forward to what lay ahead — a renewed journey of growth, passion for dance, and unwavering support for one another.

A few days later

A few days later, the sun was shining brightly as Ethan finally returned to the studio. The door creaked open and his dance group, eagerly anticipating his arrival, looked up from their practice with wide smiles. Mackenzie, unable to contain her joy, leaped into her non-biological brother's arms. Ethan hugged her tightly, laughing as Brooke and Maddie quickly joined in for a group hug.

The rest of the dancers soon gathered around Ethan, who still held onto Mackenzie, and embraced him in a massive group hug. It felt like their family was complete once again. As they held each other close, Ethan whispered to Mackenzie how proud he was of her for winning her division.

When the excitement settled down, the group got back to practicing their dance routine. Meanwhile, Ethan slipped away and entered an empty studio. He turned on the music and began to freestyle a solo dance. Pulling off intricate moves fueled by sheer emotion, he danced passionately until the music stopped.

However, Ethan wasn't satisfied with his performance. Frustration bubbled up within him as he thought about how poorly he had danced. Unknown to him, Brooke had been watching from the dance jail behind the glass door–she was amazed at what she had just witnessed.

Ethan walked out of the room with disappointment in every step. He rejoined Abby, who was in the middle of coaching Maddie's practice session. Wanting to contribute more than just emotional support that weekend, Ethan volunteered to choreograph Chloe's dance routine.

Abby agreed without hesitation–she still felt guilty that Ethan couldn't dance with the team that weekend. As all his friends watched, he put on a brave face and focused on helping Chloe perfect her routine; it was clear that even after these challenging days he remained committed to his dance group with every fiber of his being.

(Hey guys I was getting a few comments about how I should update and now I will try to update at least once a day or every few days. I am so thankful for your love and support, please follow me for updates and vote on your favorite chapter! I love you guys<3)

1030 words