Chapter 33: Trust in Talent

Abby gathered the team together in the dance studio, her eyes scanning each member with determination

Abby gathered the team together in the dance studio, her eyes scanning each member with determination. It was time for pyramid, the weekly ranking of the dancing students, and this week she had made a decision that would cause controversy.

With a somber tone, Abby announced, 

"This week, I'm going to put Ethan on a break. However," she paused for a moment before continuing, "if he wants, he can choreograph a solo for Mackenzie."

Ethan instantly agreed, his face lighting up at the opportunity. Melissa, on the other hand, was not pleased. Arms crossed over her chest, she tried to argue with Abby about her decision. Abby would hear none of it and shut Melissa down quickly.

Turning her attention back to Ethan amidst hushed murmurs from the group, Abby said, "Ethan, you're free to name the solo and work with Mackenzie all week." She hesitated for a moment before asking him an important question - "Do you want Mackenzie in the group dance as well?"

Ethan glanced over at Mackenzie who shook her head in response. Taking his cue from her silent answer, he told Abby confidently, "I know Mackenzie can win with this solo; please let this be her only dance this week."

Abby gave him a nod of approval and trust formed between them. To balance out the solo performances for the week, she then assigned Chloe and Paige their own solos.

As pyramid came to an end for the day, Abby dismissed the mom's from the studio – Ethan and Mackenzie included– They went to studio b to begin crafting what they both hoped would be a winning dance routine.

Mackenzie's pov 

Mackenzie couldn't believe her luck - she was going to work on her dance solo with none other than Ethan, her all-time dancing idol. Just twelve years old and brimming with talent, Ethan had managed to sweep first place in every competition he entered, leaving fellow dancers spellbound. His poise, rhythm, and stage presence were truly astonishing.

Their practice session began with such elation neither dancer could have predicted. In the lavishly decorated practice room, sunlight streamed through the tall windows, casting a warm, hazy glow over the duo. Mackenzie couldn't wipe the wide grin from her face - she had never felt this much excitement before.

"Alright, Mackenzie," Ethan announced cheerfully. "You'll be dancing to 'Runaway' for your solo."

Mackenzie nodded eagerly despite her initial surprise. The song was a departure from her usual music choice, but she trusted Ethan's judgment and was always open to trying new things. As an upbeat tune filled the air, Mackenzie and Ethan got down to work.

Their laughter echoed through the expansive dance studio as they went through their routine step by step. Each pirouette and chassé seemed more effortless than the last as they grew more comfortable with each other's energy and moves.