Chapter 30: Awards and Unexpected News

The competition had reached its final moments, and the energy in the room was electric. The judges called every dancer back up on stage for the anticipated awards ceremony. Each dancer, drenched in sweat and teetering on the edge of exhaustion, positioned themselves to receive their results

.The head judge took the microphone, his voice booming as he announced the winners. "In the Junior division," he began, "First place goes to... Ethan!" The audience erupted into cheers and applause. "Second place goes to Paige! And in fifth place is Chloe!" Abby, their coach, beamed with pride from her seat. She cheered loudly for her students, their success a testament to her dedication and their hard work over countless hours of practice. As Ethan and Paige hugged each other ecstatically, celebrating their victory on stage, Abby's phone suddenly buzzed in her pocket.

Answering the call without checking the caller ID, she heard Ethan's parents on the other end of the line. With an air of surprise, Abby excused herself from the auditorium and hurried out of the room. Ethan caught sight of her leaving but, too swept up in his triumph to dwell on it, quickly turned his attention back to savoring his win.

Abby found a secluded empty hallway and answered the call more confidently now that she was alone. On edge and intrigued by what news would bring about this unexpected communication immediately after the competition's high-stakes conclusion. She braced herself for whatever her students' parents had to say.

As they revealed the unexpected truth that followed - that she was... - Abby couldn't believe what she was hearing. Her phone slipped from her hand, crashing onto the floor as adrenaline coursed through her veins.

Abby's hands were shaking as she juggled her phone and her bag hurrying through the bustling competition hall. Her grip on the phone slipped, and it crashed to the floor with a thud. She let out a panicked cry, momentarily forgetting about her bag. Christi, who was nearby, noticed Abby's distress and quickly approached her.

"Abby, what's wrong?" Christi asked with concern in her voice.

"I need you to take Ethan until pyramid," Abby blurted out, scooping up her damaged phone. "Please."

Without hesitation, Christi agreed and watched as Abby dashed out of the competition, leaving everyone astonished by her sudden exit.

Ethan looked bewildered as he joined Christi and the others. They headed back to the dressing room together, half-expecting Abby to be there waiting for them, but she wasn't. The sinking feeling in Ethan's chest only grew more profound when they realized Abby was nowhere in sight.

Christi placed a comforting hand on Ethan's shoulder. "Don't worry," she reassured him. "You'll be staying with us until pyramid."

Ethan remained quiet on their journey back home, his heart heavy with worry for Abby. He declined the food Christi offered at dinner time - his thoughts were too occupied by the situation to have an appetite. It wasn't until Christi explained that Abby had received an unexpected call and would be back at pyramid when he finally felt some relief wash over him.

Gradually relaxing into his surroundings, Ethan joined Chloe in playing Mario Kart while Clara sat on the floor nearby with Christi. For a moment, he felt a warm sense of belonging amidst a real family.

But deep down, a gnawing question lingered as his concern for Abby remained: Why didn't she want him?

(Awh Ethan...)

The day they were going to the studio had finally arrived. Ethan's excitement had been building up day by day as he anticipated this amazing experience. However, when he walked past Abby's office on his way in, he noticed her hunched over her desk. She looked like she hadn't slept in days.

Concerned, Ethan knocked on the door. Abby looked up, startled by the sudden intrusion. Her eyes were red and puffy – a clear trace of constant crying. Ethan couldn't bear to see her like this; it broke his heart even more.

Ignoring all formalities, Ethan rushed into Abby's office and wrapped his arms around her in a tight embrace. He couldn't hold back his tears any longer and began sobbing against her shoulder."Why don't you want me anymore?" he asked through his tears, frustration building up within him. "What makes me so different now? Why did you leave me alone?" His words broke further as soft punches landed on her back while their hug remained unbroken.

Abby couldn't resist the hurt in Ethan's voice and began crying too. She reciprocated the embrace before finally holding Ethan at arm's length to look him in the eye.

"I'm sorry... I'm so, so sorry," she stuttered between breaths, guilt stricken.