Chapter 38:

Time skip to season 3

Abby stood at the front of the empty studio, her arms crossed in front of her chest and her foot tapping an impatient rhythm on the glossy wood floor. She had expected the echoes of music and the sight of twirling figures, but instead, she was greeted with silence.

Ethan lingered by her side, casting a wary glance toward the corner where Kelly and the girls were huddled. The air was heavy with tension; the kind that spoke of whispered secrets and decisions made in haste. Abby's disappointment hung like a thick fog, disheartening everyone who dared to meet her stern gaze.

The girls knew they were in for it; skipping dance class was never taken lightly. But their own drama, swirling around Kelly's latest escapade, seemed to have taken precedence over their dedication to dance. And Abby was done tolerating it.

Her voice broke through the quiet, steely and commanding. "Enough is enough! We're holding open auditions. It's time to see if there are dancers out there who truly want to commit, who prioritize this art over petty dramas."

A wave of panic swept through her girls. Replacing Brooke and Paige wasn't just about filling spots; it was a message, a warning shot across the bow about where Abby's priorities lay.

But Ethan shifted uncomfortably beside her, aware that she wasn't telling them everything. Deep down, Abby had a soft spot for Brooke—an admiration for her talent that clashed with her desire for discipline. She could push for replacements all she wanted, but Ethan knew Abby wouldn't let Brooke go quite yet.

As dancers filtered into the studio—each eager to seize an opportunity that wasn't meant to be theirs—Abby watched them with a critical eye, all while keeping an acutely aware gaze on Brooke. Disappointment still gnawed at her heart, but as Abby observed each hopeful perform, searching for that spark they might bring to her troupe, she couldn't help but hope that this threat might reignite Brooke's faltering commitment.

Despite herself and much to Ethan's quiet dismay, Abby hoped she wouldn't find what she was looking for in these new faces. Because letting Brooke go meant admitting defeat—and Abby Lee didn't take well to losing battles she'd already staked so much pride upon.

Abby scanned the room, her eyes sharp and assessing, as the last echoes of applause faded into silence. The auditions had been grueling for some and a breeze for others—a mix of victories and disappointments that was the norm in her world. One thing that stood out to her, however, was Ally Serigne. While she didn't possess Maddie's natural grace or Ethan's rigorous technique, Ally danced with a spark that reminded Abby of Paige at her best. Something in the way Ally moved told Abby she deserved a spot in the troupe.