Chapter 25: Trust in Ethan

The atmosphere in the dressing room was a mix of nervous anticipation and silent pressure. The team had been through an incredibly rough season, and Abby Lee Miller knew that their reputation was on the line. She paced back and forth, her eyes scrutinizing every dancer as they prepared for their performance.

Mackenzie's heart pounded in her chest as she watched Ethan and Brooke rehearsing their routine in the corner. As one of the few dancers keeping Abby's team afloat, everyone knew just how much faith Abby had put into him. Mackenzie couldn't help but be intimidated by his poise and prowess on stage.

Despite her anxiety, Mackenzie felt compelled to tell Ethan how nervous she was about dancing his choreography in front of Abby. Ethan looked at her with an assured grin and said, "I believe in you, Mackenzie. Just trust yourself, and everything will be fine."

That afternoon, before the performance started, Abby approached Mackenzie with a determined expression on her face. "Mackenzie," she said firmly, "you're going to take the stage today with Ethan's choreography. I haven't seen it yet, but I trust him completely." It was both an order and a statement of trust that left no room for argument.

Trembling nervously but determined to prove herself, Mackenzie reluctantly walked onto the stage. The music began playing, her heartbeat racing in sync with the rhythm. As she started to dance, her eyes locked onto Ethan's supportive gaze from the wings.

As Mackenzie continued through the routine, she began to find a new level of confidence. With every spin and leap, she felt more alive and connected with the music than ever before. All thoughts of Abby's expectations faded away; all that mattered was making Ethan proud.

When she hit the final pose and heard the cheering crowd, she looked over to see Ethan smiling with pride and Abby beaming from ear to ear in the wings. In that moment, she knew not just that she had done Ethan's choreography justice, but that Abby's faith in her abilities was well-placed.

Mackenzie raced offstage, rushing into Ethan's arms for a tearful embrace. She whispered her gratitude into his ear.

Nias solo

Maddie and Chloes duet

Maddie and Chloe gracefully glided across the stage together and the final notes of their duet sounded, filling the auditorium with applause. As they took their last pose, a sense of accomplishment emanated from both girls. They bowed politely to the audience before making their way offstage, smiles plastered on their faces.

As soon as they were out of the audience's sight, Maddie caught a glimpse of Ethan standing by the side stage, beaming with pride. The excitement bubbling inside her propelled her towards him. Without thinking, she threw herself into his arms, hugging him tightly.

Ethan's eyes widened in surprise but ultimately wrapped his arms around her, lifting Maddie off her feet in an emotional embrace. She looked up at him, her heart racing with adrenaline from the performance and boldness rising within her. In that split second, without a second thought, Maddie pressed her lips onto Ethan's cheek, leaving a quick but deliberate kiss.