05

"Sometimes, even wolves need to protect the lost lambs."

*******

Taehyung sits quietly, taking small sips of water as he waits for Jungkook to start the conversation. Jungkook finishes his meal, pushes his plate aside, and looks up, locking eyes with him.

Taehyung steals timid glances, resembling a rabbit in front of a wolf, while holding the glass with both hands.

Despite Jungkook's intimidating aura, there's something about him that doesn't give off a dangerous vibe.

"I'm gonna ask you a few questions, and I need you to answer me honestly. Can you do that?" Jungkook says as he leans back and fixes his gaze on the younger. Taehyung nods slowly.

"First, where is your family?" He already knows the answer, but he wants to hear it directly from Taehyung's mouth. He intends to test whether he will tell the truth or not.

He shakes his head, his voice filled with sadness. "No family. My mom and dad...they are d-died."

Noticing the tears welling up in his eyes, he suddenly feels a pang of guilt for bringing up such sensitive questions.

"I'm sorry. Where do you live then? If you have a place to stay please let me know. I can arrange for you to go back to your place." he offers in soft tone.

Taehyung shakes his head again with trembling voice. "M-my old house was in Daegu but it's been a long time... so..I d-don't know its condition now."

Jungkook narrows his eyes, sensing his hesitation. "Then, where have you been living before you came here?"

Taehyung remains silent, his mind racing. He can't reveal that he stayed at the Zen Organization building not living but was kept as a prisoner.

He desperately hopes to avoid going back there, but if he finds out where he was living, he might end up being sent back.

Jungkook crosses his arms, growing impatient. "Fine. Then, who were those mens chasing after you that night? You need to give me an honest answer, or I won't be able to help you."

Taehyung tightens his grip on the glass, his voice trembling. "They... they are bad guys. Th-they wanted to h-hurt me..."

"Why do they want to hurt you? And who sent them after you?" He continues probing, not giving him a moment to gather his thoughts.

"My u-uncle. My uncle asked them to... to c-catch me." Tears slowly roll down Taehyung's cheeks, catching Jungkook off guard and leaving him in panic.

Unsure of what to do, Comforting others has never been his strong suit. And it leaves him unsure of how to proceed.

On the other hand, Taehyung quickly wipes away his tears trying to compose himself. He feels conflicted inside. He has mixed emotions and thoughts that are pulling him in different directions.

Part of him wants to open up to Jungkook to share his story, his burdens and fears. Yet another part tells him to be cautious and reminding him not trust strangers too easily.

He has learned the hard way not to judge based purely on appearances, as kind as Jungkook may seem on the outside.

That reminds him of his past mistake of trusting his so-called uncle, a decision he deeply regrets.

Jungkook lets out a frustrated sigh, he can clearly see that he still doesn't fully trust him, and now he has confirmed that his uncle was the one responsible for all the trouble he had endured.