CHAPTER 6

ERYX

I sat on the chair in front of Duaa and lemme tell you, she was pissed. I didn't ask her anything. Not just because I didn't care but also because it was none of my business. I could see her upcoming call but she just flipped her phone. A part of me was a bit curious to know who it was. But I didn't ask.

After we were done, I got up and did some stretching while brownie was closing the laptop. She was on her way to leave but stopped and turned around. "Don't be late tomorrow. We've a meeting with a foreign client." I pressed my lips together and gave her a nod. Shit. Now I can't stay over at Matt's as well since it takes more than an hour to come here and clearly I wouldn't be able to make it.

DUAA

I was moving here and there on my bed, not being able to sleep. My brain can't seem to stop thinking about that call. About him. It has been three years! I knew in my gut that I was over him and I hated that after all these years he could still occupy my mind like this.

5 YEARS AGO

"I know we're still young but I don't wanna waste a second of my life without you, Duaa. I love you so so much. Will you.." He dropped on his one knee and opened a small red box and I could literally feel my eyes getting teary. Inside the box there was a small ring that was shining. "marry me?" He finished his sentence and tears finally left my eyes. I couldn't utter a single word. I was beyond happy. I also dropped on my knees in front of him. He was smiling. I was smiling, crying. I just nodded my head and wrapped my arms around him. "Yes...yes" I whispered as I could feel his arms wrapping around me as well.

PRESENT

I stared at my empty ring finger for a long time. At first I wanted to keep the ring but then I realised I wasn't just carrying the ring, I was also carrying him with me. Afra, my best friend, she said if I really wanted to forget him, I have to throw out every single thing that reminds me of him. She told me I deserved better and I'll also find someone better. That day Afra took me on a long drive. And soon we were under a bridge, staring at the calm river. She told me to let everything out and I did. It never felt more right. I let out every single shed of emotion I was holding within myself. I threw the ring into the river, the very last thing I had of him. And since that day he had been dead to me.

ERYX

I don't know if it's just me but I can't sleep anywhere unless it's my bed. I was roaming around the bed all night and now I was running on a treadmill. It was 7:09 am already but good thing, I could see the logo of our company from here. Yesterday I wanted to take the risk of going home but again I didn't have the will to face the unnecessary clingy drama so I booked the closest hotel near the company. I got a call from Mr. Robert and he told me the blondie finally left but she said she will come again. For what damn reason, sorry?

I turned off the treadmill and was about to get off of it when I saw "Brownie!" I said it out loud without realisation and the man beside me who seemed to be in his 50's gave a weird look which I didn't give a shit about. Within minutes brownie came out of the cafe which was right in front of the hotel, holding a packet. She was wearing a suit, the palest shade of green with a chocolate brown hijab. So that's where you come every morning. I thought before making my way toward my room and on my way didn't forget to wink at the lady who was eyeing me the whole time I was here. Her cheeks turned rosy as the uniform she was wearing.

DUAA

Now this smells like actual paradise. I thought as I was watching the coffee pour through the coffee machine into the small cup. My mood was already better. "Make sure to increase the quantity, brownie." I didn't have to turn around to know who it was. "I'm a woman of my word so you have got nothing to worry about." I said as I turned around. He was wearing the same fit as yesterday. Didn't he go home? But didn't wanna ask him that cause I knew his answer would disgust me. It seemed like his hair was slightly damp which means he took a shower or was it just my bad eyesight? Anyway... With his hands inside his pocket he was coming toward me. A small smile is always playing over his mouth, slightly making his dimple visible. This dude is literally blessed with the best features on his planet I swear. Mashallah. But zero personality of course. And he smelled nice, like really nice. Am I gonna say it though? I would rather die.

His facial expressions were already changing dude to the strong smell which made me chuckle. "don't be so dramatic." He fake gasped and held a hand to his chest. "Here, try this." I handed him a coffee bean. "And die in the process? No, thank you," I wanted to laugh so bad. It seems like he is afraid of coffee. So, I decided to play with him a little bit. "They're special beans. They are sweet, like a candy." He gave a look that said he wasn't buying it at all. So I persuaded him further. "We specially order them. They're fresh and sweet, I swear. Here..." "ok ok, I'll try it but you gotta try it first." I stilled a bit. I'm not a great fan of coffee beans but I can fool him. I took a bean and placed it in my mouth, trying my best not to show him any kind of expression. I was not gonna chew it obviously. I turned around, getting a bean for him as well but carefully spitting out mine in a tissue paper.

He looked hesitant but took it from my hand. "Make sure to bite it. It's full of flavours." He put it in his mouth and bit it so hard that I could hear the crunch as well and he instantly regretted it. He made a sound like he was gonna vomit. He was legit gagging. He rushed to the sink and spitted out the bean and kept on spitting. I burst into a loud laughter that almost brought tears to my eyes. He was murmuring something as he was washing his tongue under the sink. I saw holding my stomach as I was laughing uncontrollably.

ERYX

I just stared at her. She was laughing like there was no tomorrow and all I knew was that I really liked it. The sound of her laughter. It was wholesome. That was the only word I could describe it with.  She didn't hold back anything. She didn't care about the stereotypical shy laugh image.

She brought me napkins. The smile never leaving her face. "Sorry not sorry." "I'm gonna get my revenge soon, brownie." "I would love to see you try." That made me smile. I love me a challenge. By the time I was done with the napkins she turned to me with two small cups of coffee she made with a goofy ass smile over her face. "Uh-uh, you think I'm gonna trust you after the stunt you just pulled?" "come on, I'm sorry. Just give this one a try, It's actually really good." a part of me believed her. "I put extra sugar in yours so come and drink." I sighed and went to the table where she placed the coffees. Not gonna lie, they do look really good. "Since I pulled that bean stunt with you, I'm gonna share my favourite croissants with me." she said it in a sassy tone and took out the packet that I saw her earlier with. They were pistachio croissants. My favourite flavour. "I'm not gonna say thank you for obvious reasons." She chuckled and nodded.

I took the first sip and oh oh woww...I liked it. The thick texture, the foam on top, the slightly bitter but manageable test really blew my mind. I looked at Duaa who was already staring at me with her big doe eyes that were full of hope. "So how is it?" "meh, 5 out of 10" it wasn't. It was 9 out of 10 but I liked to annoy her. She rolled her eyes. "Dumbo! You've no taste." "what did you just call me, brownie." "dumbo. You call me brownie and I call you dumbo." I stared at her in disbelief. "Dumbo sounds insulting." "what did you expect." She smiled innocently and I just stared at her.