CHAPTER 28

DUAA

I was sitting in the presentation room with other managers/CEOs as the most boring presentation on earth was being presented on the projector. I was sure no one was paying attention. Most of the people were on their phones.

I don't even know why the organisation plans this every year. Like no one pays attention, come on! And it's a freaking saturday. S.A.T.U.R.D.A.Y! And the worst part is my present here was obligatory. I could have just stayed at home, taken a long nap, read a book or attended that stupid barbecue Eryx was having.

Gosh..I should have dragged his ass here. He is at home partying with his new friends and I'm here. I can't even blame him, considering the fact that he has offered three to four times to come with me but I insisted he stays at home and does the barbecue as he planned.

He also sent a picture of the food a few minutes ago with a text that said "missing out" and it looked delicious. I wanted to send a middle finger sticker but then I realised we are not friends anymore so I ended up responding with nothing.

This is my second time attending this event. And guess what, it feels even more boring than the first time. And unlike other people I couldn't be on my phone since Ms. Hilary was talking nonstop. Non freaking stop. I haven't got a clue what she is saying but I'm just smiling and nodding.

"And that's how my rat died." Ms. Hilary said while looking at me and I'm still smiling and nodding. Wait what? My fake smile dropped. "I'm sorry but did you just say your rat died?" I asked as she was wiping off her non-existent tears while looking up.

She nodded and took her phone. "Wait, let me show you a picture of dolo." excuse me, what? "Dolo?" "yea, my rat's name." before I could process anything she started showing the dolo's picture.

Why am I here again?

"How did it die?" she closed her phone and looked at me. "Dulu ate it." my eyebrows frowned. "Dulu who?" "dulu, my cat. The one I told you about earlier." Oh my god.

Oh. My. God.

I heard a chuckle from behind but didn't turn around. I was still tryna wrap my mind around what Hilary was talking about.

"Now, if you excuse me darling, I will go to the washroom and cry some more." I was more than glad to give her the space. I looked at her unbelievable self as she was going out of the room. Taking a deep breath I decided to turn around to see the guy from earlier who chuckled at the dolo-dulu joke.

He was checking his watch when I turned to him. He finally looked up and our eyes met. wait...I know him. I have seen him somewhere. My eyes went to his batch which said "dew drop". Oh right, I called the products of his company shit right in front of him.

"I remember you. You are the one who called my drinks shit." I just shrugged. "Well, not exactly. I was tryna stop my brother from having it." "well, thanks to you." my eyebrows frowned. "Why?" "took your honest review seriously and made it in the top 10." "in that case, glad that I could help." he chuckled.

"Duaa Wahed." I introduced myself. "Zain Ahmed." "nice to meet you Zain and congratulations. It takes a long period to be able to attend this kind of event and as far as I remember your product was only launched two years ago." he gave me an appreciative nod.

We both talked for a while about our work and I was pretty shock to find out we share almost the same opinions about everything.

ERYX

Laughter filled into the air as we were playing truth and dare. It was already 7 pm. I was sitting between Tyler and Sofia as Kourtney's boyfriend, Ethan, was dared to eat a jalapeno. It has been a great day so far. But... I just wish Duaa was here.