Chapter 26: Shagun

Karan wiped his own tears and then Monami's. They hugged each other tightly and their grip on each other was clearly reflecting how happy they were. Slowly they parted away and stared into each other's eyes and leaned forward for a soft and gentle kiss. They broke the kiss and Karan wiped off the gel from Monami's tummy. The walked towards Ashi's desk where she was waiting for them. By the time Karan and Monami were in the ultrasound room, Ashi prescribed a few medicines for Monami. She gave them the instructions and the couple left for the academy.

It was almost 12 pm on a pleasant Monday afternoon in PSAF. The kids were about to come back from school. The theory classes and first set of drills was completed by the cadets. They were being trained by their enthusiastic and highly skilled trainers i.e., Sid, Koel, Bala, Chitra, Sumanji and Premji. Param, Karan, Sanju and Faizi were in their respective cabins doing their work. Monami did not have to go to the hospital today, so she stayed at at academy itself and studied some reports of the patients. Barkha too completed her meetings and was now tidying up her quarter.

Param, Karan, Faizi and Sanju were in Param's cabin discussing about some mission that was being completed successfully by Team PSAF last week. But soon their conversation was halted by a knock on the door.

*Knock knock*

Param: Come in

Ustadji: Jai hind sirji

Param (nodding): Jai hind

Ustadji: Sirji woh Sooraj sirji, madam ji, Dr. Mahajan aur Juhi madam aaye hai

Param: Arey toh unhe quarters mat bhejiye Ustadji. Hum Monami ko surprise denge

Ustadji: Sirji woh sab aapka bahar hi intezaar kar rahe hai

The agents walked out of the cabin and found the senior Shegills and senior Mahajans waiting for them. As soon as they came out of the cabin, their parents' face lit up like a 440 volt bulb. All of them hugged each other as they were meeting each other after a long time. Monami knew that her parents and in laws were about to come to Deolali for the 'shagun vidhi' but the date was not fixed. But Juhi and Suhana suggested to surprise Monami the same way she had surprised them with the news of pregnancy.

Soon all of them headed towards Moran's quarters and quietly peeked inside the door. They saw that Monami was sitting on the sofa, with her legs planted on the centre table. She was totally engrossed in some files with a huge tub of an almost empty chocolate ice cream kept beside her. Gabbar was also sitting near the sofa, shaking his head looking at his Mom's situation. Karan's eyes widened in shock seeing his wife in such a condition. Without thinking for even a second, he barged into the room, making Monami flinch for a moment.

Monami: Karan, aise kaun aata hai? Darwaaza toot jaata abhi

Karan: Tumhe darwaaze ki padi hai?

Monami: Toh kiski padi honi chahiye?

Karan: Khud ki!!

Monami: Matlab?

Karan: Yeh kya hai? Poori ice - cream khaa chuki ho tum. Apna dhyaan rakhna chahiye na. Ya har baar koi na koi hona chahiye tumhare saath?

Monami: Oh god Khadoos Shergill! Ab mera mann kiya toh kha li maine ice cream. Itna gussa kyu kar rahe ho

Karan: Gussa na karu toh kya karu? Manjeera bajau

Monami: Tum jo bhi karo bas khaane se mat roko mujhe. Samjhe?

Karan: Nahi!

Both of them were continuously arguing with each other and Karan had almost forgotten that his family was standing outside the door waiting for their argument to come to an end. But it seemed like there their argument was not coming to an end anytime soon. Fed up of the two, their parents came inside the quarters. Suddenly Monami's eyes averted towards her parents and she squealed in happiness. She ran and hugged her mother tightly.