Chapter 2

Wow.. he was beautiful, thats all i thought was that he was beautiful. he had dark brown eyes, brown hair curly that fell in his face, and a very defined jaw line. "yes?" he just looked at me, I looked away my face feeling hot, "nothing, i didn't expect that at all." i smiled a little looking back at him smiling at me. "what'd you expect a mangled face?" I nodded slowly, he laughed out loud. he stood up, and began moving boxes. "i said i'd help didn't i?" i snapped out of my daze he was just to beautiful. i stood up and began unpacking my boxes.

within about 4 hours we had everything unpacked and in its in its place. i sighed "well i guess if you wanted you could stay for dinner? i went grocery shopping this morning, what do you like?" he hesitated. "anything i guess." i smiled and began getting things ready for spaghetti. after about 20 minutes dinner was ready we sat at the table eating quietly, but it didn't feel awkward. i felt safe, comfortable. Vessel helped clean up and we sat on the couch and just talked mostly about me for what felt like hours. "so, when i was 15 i was.. never mind.." i trailed off looking down. he looked at me confused. he reached up and tilted my face towards him. "what?" he looked concerned i saw a twinge of anger mixed in with concern. "it's nothing." i said "no, ive only known you for a few hours but i feel like i've known you a lifetime, your safe tell me." i teared up i couldn't help but cry. Vessel pulled me into a hug his body warm, comforting and safe. I sighed and sat up wiping my face. "when i was 15 i was kidnapped by my neighbor held hostage, beaten, starved, and..." i looked at him his face full of rage, he breathed in and he chest rose. I just looked at him he looked into my eyes and it was like he was gathering any information from my face that he could. "well that won't happen again I promise, as long as you live here you're safe." he said i smiled and tears began to form again. he pulled me into a hug and kissed the top of my head. I had only known him for a few hours but he felt so safe so calming. I was so scared of everything and suddenly i felt like i could take down a bear.

"you should probably get home, its getting late." He looked at me and tilted his head. "you sure? after all you said you didn't like being alone." I'll be okay, you're only a few feet away. He stood up and walked to the door. walking out, i looked at the kitchen table his mask. i grabbed it quickly and ran out the door "Vessel!." he quickly turned around "your mask." i said loudly, i met him at the bottom of my porch and handed it to him, our hands grazing slightly. i felt a shiver down my spine. he smiled "thank you." and continued on to his house.
I sat in my bed for what felt like hours wondering what was so interesting about this man called vessel, I couldn't wrap my head around it, i slowly felt myself drift off into sleep. I was only asleep for around 2 hours when I heard banging on my door, I groaned rolling out of bed "Vessel people need sleep you know." I yelled walking to the door, when I opened it I was faced with a masked man a little shorter than vessel but still very muscular. "Can I help you?" I asked hesitantly, the man just stands there tilting his head, I noticed his hands curl into fists, he lunges towards me wrapping his hand around my throat pushing me against the wall. I let a loud scream kicking pulling in his arms but he was much stronger than I. "You have no right speaking to Vessel, you're nothing got it?" He said with gritted teeth sleeping his hand wrapped around my throat tightening his grip. I struggled to breathe when suddenly I hear another set of footsteps the man's grasp suddenly loosens as I try to catch my breath my vision going dark I feel I'm passing out. I hear a familiar voice yell "stay the fuck away from her!" I open my eyes to see Vessel grabbing the man by his shoulders dragging him outside and beating the man's face, holding him down, it continued I felt like I was frozen I didn't know what to do. Vessel finally stood up over the man and spit on him, he turned to me and walked calmly over to where I had collapsed and put his hand out to me. I just looked at him. What happened to the man I met only hours earlier, this man was dark, cold, violent. "I'm not going to hurt you. I promise" he motioned to his hand wanting me to take it l, I held it his hand was soft yet strong at the same time, he helped me up laying his arm on the small of my back, I felt my face get hot, once I stood up, I looked up at Vessel I backed away and felt the tears welling up I couldn't hold them back, it hurt so much to cry my throat felt like it was on fire. Vessel walked towards me I backed away putting my arm up. "Stop." He tilted his head. "Are you okay" the tears fell like rain I couldn't help myself. Vessel walked towards me pulling me into a gentle hug, I tensed up, but eventually relaxed into his embrace. I sighed and wrapped my arms around him. I backed up and looked at him. "What was that about? Who was that?" Vessel tensed seeming hesitant about what I had just asked. "He used to be my protégé, I was teaching him about the religion for when I eventually was step down. If I step down. But he was short tempered and rude to everyone so I told him never to return, I guess he was finding a reason to get my attention." He looked to the ground nervously. "Protégé?" Are like a priest or something?" He chuckled under his breath "something like that" he giggled "let's get you cleaned up okay?" He said laying his hand on the small of my back sending butterflies through my stomach.
He walks me to my bathroom and grabs a rag, wets it in the sink and wipes my face off. Not even 15 minutes ago this man looked like he was ready to kill anything that got in his way and now he's gentle and calm, it's terrifying.
"Are you okay?" He asked quietly as we stood in the bathroom. "I don't really know, it came out of no where.. why me though?" Vessel lowered his head. Pulling his mask off, still beautiful but he had a swollen lip, it looks like who ever that was got one swing in. "Because anyone I've shown attention to he finds away to get rid of them." He swallowed hard looking at me, reaching his hand to my face, "has anyone told you you're beautiful?" He said with a small smile. I felt my face get hot. "Not recently no." I looked away trying to hide my blushing. His smile grew wider and he look at my neck, and he grimaced. I placed my hand over where the man grabbed my throat and winced in pain. "He left marks on you" he said through gritted teeth. I saw his eyes go dark and his body tensed up. "It's okay, I'm okay I promise" I forced a smile and looked into his eyes, his body relaxing. "I should head home, it's late." He said keeping his face stoic. "Will you stay? Please? I'm scared." I said quietly, he nodded and slowly grabbed my hand, "I'll sleep on the couch is that okay?" "Will you lay with me?" I asked he tilted his head but nodded letting a small smile crack through his mouth. I walked him to my bedroom and laid down in bed. He stood there for a few moments before sitting next to me. "Can I?" He motioned to the bed. "Yes, please." He laid down slowly careful not to touch me, once he got comfortable I laid my head on his shoulder and sighed. I was angry with myself because I felt so comfortable with him. He quickly looked over at me surprised by my actions but wrapped his arm around me pulling me closer, running his fingers through my hair and I slowly fell asleep.