Cold ends, warm beginnings Wendigos x Reader

The thing about being one of two residents on Blackwood mountain is that  this place is the worst home to bring a partner to.

"Wait! Wait, come back I can explain!"

"The fuck are those things?" My date screamed, tripping over himself in the snow.

"They're completely harmless! Come back inside, we can talk about this-"

"Those things are-its like they crawled out of nightmares! Harmless? Really?Are you Outta your damn mind? They are demonspawn!" He screamed, climbing into his truck and shooting off down the mountain.

The wendigos started to chase, I whistled and they froze in position.

"Come on, inside. You've scared him enough already. Come on." I called. All but hannah stayed grounded to the spot, staring in the direction my now ex took off in.

"Hannah, come on girl." She let out a low huff before following inside.

I glanced around as the wendigos hurried through the house and closed the door before heading to the couch and falling onto it.

The house went silent. For the first time in years, there was no shuffling, screaming or plates smashing. Then, all of a sudden, the sensation of being crushed hit me as all of my odd cryptid housepets lay on and around me.

"...I can't stay mad with you. He would've found out sooner or later. At least he wasn't like the last guy." I whispered, patting hannahs head as she rested it on my shoulder. A surprising knock came to the door, I sighed and they all disbursed, Hannah knocking over a trash can as she left the room.

I straightened myself and opened the door, freezing still at the sight of a boy.

"Who...oh my god. Get in." I said, moving aside for the struggling half wendigo before locking the door shut and approaching.

"Okay, what's your name? Do you remember?" He wheezed and shakily glanced to me.

"...josh." his voice was scratchy, almost a regular wendigo sound. I sighed.

"You must've sensed me, huh." He gave a  nod and a strangled sob escaped from him.

"What's happening to me?" I took his hand in mine.

"You're changing. Are you familiar with wendigos?"

"Only...what Jack...told me." My heart hammered as I remembered the huge lodge fire.

"You're one of those college kids that...wow.okay. where have you been the last few weeks?"

"...mines." I nodded and stood, heading for my pantry, he followed noisily.

"Please...help me." I nodded as I grabbed a few Mason jars.

"What do you think I'm doing? Look, this won't fix your condition but it will stop it from progressing further. It'll allow you to keep your memories and ...well... half of your face." He gave a slow nod.

"Is that how these wendigos are so fond of you?"

"No. You see...I was affected by the curse. I was out, starving with a broken leg. I ate...I ate the only thing I could. A shaman found me, gave me these herbs and...here we are. I decided to help the way she helped me."

"So...you and Jack lived on this mountain."

"Yeah, I help the wendigos while he protected the rich assholes that think this place is their playground...no offence."

"You're...not wrong." His voice sounded clearer and I handed him the tea.

"It's bitter and awful but it works a treat." He gave a nod and sipped before gagging.

"I can't drink that!"

"You have to now. Down it, I'll get you a drink to chase it with. You have to trust me." He gave a small nod and downed it, writhing in disgust. I grabbed a can from the fridge and handed it to him.

Hannah crawled up, sniffing at the boy before giving a piercing scream.

He stared at her before looking to me, tears in his eyes.

"She...I can understand her." I nodded.

"You'll have to get used to it. She's got a lot to say. " I mused, patting her smooth head.

"But...I don't get it."

"She remembers a little but...it took me a while to find her. She remembers you, talks about you and Beth all the time." He tilted his head as he sipped his cider.

"Must be lonely. Only having these guys for company. That guy you chased off looked like he crapped his pants." I sighed and took a seat.

"He was my ex. These guys couldn't stay away and...freaked him out. I'm just grateful nobody in town will believe him. The locals are sick and tired of conspiracy theorists." He nodded with a frown as hannah scooted closer.

Josh reached out his hand, she screeched and disappeared back through the house.

"Well...at least you have bonding time. That is, if you're staying?"

"I...doubt I could live a normal life with a face like this." I nodded and straightened.

"Well you can stay with us as long as you'd like. So long as you ignore the constant noise. These guys are always running into and smashing shit. Yes. Clara, that was aimed mostly at you." I stated, staring at the small windego that had decided to crawl onto Josh's lap.

"So...they were all humans like us?"

"Yeah. Clara...she was only little girl when she...had her accident. I was called out and-"

"Called out?"

"Jack knew I could help people through the changing. He doesn't agree with my...protecting them. But I know what this hell feels like."

"What happens when you go to work?"

"I work from home. I'm a horror novelist. Pretty ironic but I've gotten to the stage that I can live off doing what I love. Anyway, are you feeling okay?"

"Yeah. It's...its a lot to take in. My face will always look like this?"

"...yeah. 'fraid so. Unless you know of a dentist and surgeon that would work on you."

"Wait...if you had this curse too, how do you look completely human?"

I unbuttoned and removed my shirt revealing my vest and the spiraling hues of blue splattering around my shoulders.

"It took my body first. If I go into town on a hot day, I draw patterns on the blue. The locals just think I have weird watercolour tattoos."

"How do I hide my face?"

"I...I don't know. But I'll help you in any way I can. Okay?" He gave a nod and I turned to the crown of wendigos staring at our newcomer with their heads tilted with interest.

Hannahs brother

I nodded to them.

"Hannas brother, that's right. He'll be staying with us as part of the-"

Family? Friendssss...

"Yes, Clara. Our family of friends. Now, why don't you all say hello?" They immediately descended on him, piling on and cuddling into him. The boy stared at me with complete bewilderment.

"They crave warmth, like lizards. You're warm, I'm warm...You'll get used to it."