chapter 1

i sat up straight on my bed, sweat trickling down my face. 'great another nightmare' i thought. these occur most nights, when i will wake up the next day like nothing happened. every night, the same nightmare, again and again...

just as i was about to get to sleep, i hear something. i instantly stop moving, my senses being on alert. what is that? rustling. i look up. there's nothing there...

the sound stops and there's nothing for a few seconds until i hear a BANG!

i quickly grab my knife from under my pillow and hold it as far out as my hand can go, which isn't far assuming i have handcuffs attached to my wrist.

"shh it's only me, i'm not here to kill you" i hear a voice with a thick russian accent say. i don't put the knife away but i slowly pull it back into my body.

a figure approaches me from the darkness of my cell. they look average height and have very quiet feet, which i suppose you should expect when you wander around the red room at night.

but she was holding something...

a necklace?

"you're wondering what this is hmm? i'll tell you in a minute" she hands me the necklace. it is a small silver chain with a little hourglass pendant on it. i put it around my neck and put my hand up to it, holding it. it feels right, but i'm not sure why.

"it was a gift from your mother. she and i knew each other, and told to give this to you as soon as i find you again. so that's what i've been doing up until now, searching for you." the lady said. she seemed nice. it wasn't often you met someone here who wouldn't try to kill you the minute you lock eyes.

she held her hand out towards me.

"yelena"

i shook her hand. "athena"

the next morning i wake up and immediately reach my hand up to the necklace planted on my neck. it was still there. it means a lot to me, it's the only thing i have from my actual mother.

she could be dead, she could be alive somewhere on the other side of the world, she could be in hospital. i'd never know.

there are some days where i just wish i had her. where i wish she could hold me, and tell me i was going to be okay. but instead i'm here, trapped inside this hell hole, all alone, with nothing to do except kill.

after i got changed, i sat on my bed thinking. thinking about life. about how i was probably never going to get out of here and have a normal life. that's all i want. a place where i can be myself, and have fun. be a normal child. i never wanted to be this, i don't want to be this.

as i was walking to the training room, i caught a glimpse of a girl. a girl who liked like the person in my dream, except her hair was different. in the dream it was darker, more alive. now it was blonde. it looked like it hadn't been taken care of properly in years.

we never met, me and that girl, yelena. she seems nice, i've seen her around. she's a good assassin too, madame b uses her for examples for the older girls when i'm not around.

i watched as she turned around and looked me in my eyes. they softened as she took in my features. like they reminded her of someone.

i took a deep breath in and walked away.

a/n sorry it's a bit of a short chapter i'll make them longer in the future:)